Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Valve Tuning Slide

Second Valve Tuning Slide

My new Adams E1's second valve tuning slide is very slick/loose. After playing around 10 minutes the slide slips down enough to come loose and half way out. Solutions/fixes??? Thank you!
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director
    Solo Euphonium, Five Lakes Metro Brass Band

Besson Prestige 2052 (Gold)
    Shires Q41S (Medium Shank)

2. This can be easily remedied by a good brass tech in a couple of minutes. One or both of the inner slides will need to be slightly expanded or “swaged” so that it fits tighter in the outer slide. I had this very problem on my second valve slide....after it popped out and fell to the floor on two separate performances, I took matters into my own hands and did a diy job here at home (I don’t recommend doing that)....problem fixed, but now it fits a bit tighter than I would like. A good tech would be able to make it a perfect fit.

3. +1 what euphguy said. In the mean time use Hetman supersticky slide grease (#8)
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by EuphGuy View Post
    One or both of the inner slides will need to be slightly expanded or “swaged” so that it fits tighter in the outer slide.
    Yes. However, I should like to take this opportunity (in the spirit of what some may consider excess pedantry) to praise EuphGuy for his use of the term "swaged". Be aware that if you use this term in communicating with brass repair technicians they may not understand you, or they may "correct" you to use the term "swedge" rather than "swage".

Alas, this is a disturbing sign of the degradation of our language by the communal forces of darkness. I have no idea how "swedge" crept into the language (possibly merely as a creeping Bubba) However, even the "authorities" have succumbed: Merriam-Webster now regards "swedge" as a "spelling variant" of "swage" -- which is seems strikingly close to saying that "beer" is a spelling variant of "bear". But I digress (or digressed a couple of sentences ago).

Anyhow, EuphGuy is to be applauded for not falling prey to the now almost universal usage of "swedge" among the brass technician crowd.
    Last edited by ghmerrill; 01-06-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

5. Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Anyhow, EuphGuy is to be applauded for not falling prey to the now almost universal usage of "swedge" among the brass technician crowd.
    I will "swedge" that!
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I'll take that as a spelling variant of "sledge".
    Gary Merrill
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)

uh oh... sounds like somebody there went overboard after I complained that all their tuning slides were too tight!
    --
    Barry

And once they paid attention to you, then they did a full review and decided to implement the industry standard for 2nd valve slides.
    Gary Merrill

9. Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I'll take that as a spelling variant of "sledge".
    And I will take "sledge" as a spelling variant of "sludge," which can inhibit tuning slides from falling out.
    Harry Nuttall

Bach Stradivarius New York model 8II tenor trombone #28xx
    Besson New Standard #438xxx
    Besson "Prototype" euphonium #510xx
    Conn 30I Wonderphone double-belled euphonium #327xxx
    Hawkes & Son Excelsior Sonorous #534xx
    Holton Revelation euphonium #753xx
    Holton Revelation euphonium #797xx

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    +1 what euphguy said. In the mean time use Hetman supersticky slide grease (#8)
    I think you mean hetman #9 (used to be called #7P)

#8 isn't really all that heavier than #7, it's just a different formulation.
    --
    Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast