Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Besson 1065 vs 165

1. Besson 1065 vs 165

For a high-school freshman, looking to purchase a step-up 3 + 1 non-compensating euphonium from his current 3-valve Holton.

The Besson site still has pictures that show 1065 on the bell on the page for the 165.

Has anyone compared the BE1065 to the new BE165?

thanks

Hi 'BHHoward'. Welcome to the forum.

Pretty sure you're not being ignored. I suspect members here may not know the answer to your question. I've not played either of the Besson models you mention. I searched the internet to see if the 1065 and 165 were the same horn and can't find that out either. Hopefully someone here will know something about those models.
    Last edited by RickF; 01-03-2019 at 05:54 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Back in the 1980's I tried a 4-valve non-compensating euphonium, which was presumably one of those model numbers. It was a nice horn - tone was good and it played easily. I have heard rumors that Besson moved production to India for a while and that those horns were not good quality, but I don't know that from personal experience. That's about the extent of my knowledge!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Besson has changed quite a bit in their lineup - for example, the Besson International models (BE7(0)65). They were intermediate level non-compensating 3+1 euphs. The ones made in the late 90s were, excuser le mot, crap. One of my fellow euph players plays it and it's horrible. Very light, bad projection, horrible tuning. Then the Internationals made in the early to mid-2000s were pretty good, I played on one for several years. Tuning was WAY better and it was heavier. Projected way better as well. Then that model stopped being produced, and now the International range is back but as an intermediate level compensating model, with the same model number. Even though it's not shown on the Besson site.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing has happened to the 165/1065, same principle horn with technically the same model number, just with a couple of design and quality changes (improvements?) now.

5. The best step-up for the money is a Wessex Dolce, and it is compensating as well.

In addition to Wessex, the Mack Brass 1150 is also a fine step-up--also compensating.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

My recommendation would for Wessex Dolce as well... It is getting very good reviewe on this board for quality construction and intonations... For just a smidgeon below $1300 you will get a compensating eupho with standard 3+1 piston configuration.... No, I do not own Dolce.... I have the Wessex Festivo instead, which has 4 side-mounted pistons.... I could not be happier with it. However, in a band, Festivo's typical playing position with the bell slanted to the player's left is likely to raise more than three eyebrows, not including those of the band director *Grins!* the classic Dolce vertical playing configuration would be more appropriate.

Here is the Dolce homepage, with US pricing:

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections...uphonium-ep100
    Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 01-04-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

If you are interested in a Besson sound check out the John Packer 274. Very nice horns and can get them reasonably. Try Midsouth Music in Tennessee for the best prices. Joe Sellmansberger will treat you right.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

9. Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    In addition to Wessex, the Mack Brass 1150 is also a fine step-up--also compensating.
    Couldn't agree more -- there are awesome compensating euphs for someone who is looking to upgrade from a 3 valve or 4 valve non-compensating baritone / euphonium. If one outgrows the likes of a Wessex or Mack Brass, then a professional quality instrument would be in order.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

10. Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    If you are interested in a Besson sound check out the John Packer 274. Very nice horns and can get them reasonably. Try Midsouth Music in Tennessee for the best prices. Joe Sellmansberger will treat you right.
    I 100% agree. I own a Packer and it is one of the best compensating horns out there for the money! If you do get one, get it off of Reevesbrass. Brand new, they go for about $1200. Also, be sure to try out these horns first before you buy them. I suggest going to a conference, like the Army Tuba-Euph workshop at the end of this month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast