X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BHHOWARD
    • Jan 2019

Besson 1065 vs 165

For a high-school freshman, looking to purchase a step-up 3 + 1 non-compensating euphonium from his current 3-valve Holton.

The Besson site still has pictures that show 1065 on the bell on the page for the 165.

Has anyone compared the BE1065 to the new BE165?

thanks
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Hi 'BHHoward'. Welcome to the forum.

Pretty sure you're not being ignored. I suspect members here may not know the answer to your question. I've not played either of the Besson models you mention. I searched the internet to see if the 1065 and 165 were the same horn and can't find that out either. Hopefully someone here will know something about those models.
    Last edited by RickF; 01-03-2019, 05:54 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

Back in the 1980's I tried a 4-valve non-compensating euphonium, which was presumably one of those model numbers. It was a nice horn - tone was good and it played easily. I have heard rumors that Besson moved production to India for a while and that those horns were not good quality, but I don't know that from personal experience. That's about the extent of my knowledge!
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• TheJH
        • Dec 2014

Besson has changed quite a bit in their lineup - for example, the Besson International models (BE7(0)65). They were intermediate level non-compensating 3+1 euphs. The ones made in the late 90s were, excuser le mot, crap. One of my fellow euph players plays it and it's horrible. Very light, bad projection, horrible tuning. Then the Internationals made in the early to mid-2000s were pretty good, I played on one for several years. Tuning was WAY better and it was heavier. Projected way better as well. Then that model stopped being produced, and now the International range is back but as an intermediate level compensating model, with the same model number. Even though it's not shown on the Besson site.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing has happened to the 165/1065, same principle horn with technically the same model number, just with a couple of design and quality changes (improvements?) now.
        Euphoniums
        2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
        1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
        Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
        Baritone
        1975 Besson New Standard
        Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Comment

• iiipopes
          • Feb 2016

The best step-up for the money is a Wessex Dolce, and it is compensating as well.

Comment

• Snorlax
            • Mar 2007

In addition to Wessex, the Mack Brass 1150 is also a fine step-up--also compensating.
            Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
            Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
            bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
            Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
            Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
            Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
            www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• guidocorona
              • Jun 2018

My recommendation would for Wessex Dolce as well... It is getting very good reviewe on this board for quality construction and intonations... For just a smidgeon below $1300 you will get a compensating eupho with standard 3+1 piston configuration.... No, I do not own Dolce.... I have the Wessex Festivo instead, which has 4 side-mounted pistons.... I could not be happier with it. However, in a band, Festivo's typical playing position with the bell slanted to the player's left is likely to raise more than three eyebrows, not including those of the band director *Grins!* the classic Dolce vertical playing configuration would be more appropriate.

Here is the Dolce homepage, with US pricing:

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections...uphonium-ep100
              Regards, Guido
              Last edited by guidocorona; 01-04-2019, 10:32 AM.
              M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
              Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
              Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• Davidus1
                • Jul 2008

If you are interested in a Besson sound check out the John Packer 274. Very nice horns and can get them reasonably. Try Midsouth Music in Tennessee for the best prices. Joe Sellmansberger will treat you right.
                John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                Yamaha 354 Trombone
                Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• jkircoff
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Snorlax View Post
                  In addition to Wessex, the Mack Brass 1150 is also a fine step-up--also compensating.
                  Couldn't agree more -- there are awesome compensating euphs for someone who is looking to upgrade from a 3 valve or 4 valve non-compensating baritone / euphonium. If one outgrows the likes of a Wessex or Mack Brass, then a professional quality instrument would be in order.
                  James Kircoff
                  Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
                  Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Comment

• FreezingGamer
                    • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Davidus1 View Post
                    If you are interested in a Besson sound check out the John Packer 274. Very nice horns and can get them reasonably. Try Midsouth Music in Tennessee for the best prices. Joe Sellmansberger will treat you right.
                    I 100% agree. I own a Packer and it is one of the best compensating horns out there for the money! If you do get one, get it off of Reevesbrass. Brand new, they go for about $1200. Also, be sure to try out these horns first before you buy them. I suggest going to a conference, like the Army Tuba-Euph workshop at the end of this month.
                    Joseph Bickel - TPOE Marching Band & Symphonic Band
                    Horn - School owned King 2280SP in Silver
                    Mouthpiece - Denis Wick SM4X in Gold
                    Dream horn - Yamaha 642 Neo OR Besson Prestige 2051

- 3 consecutive years of 1st chair District Honor Band
                    - 2nd chair All-State 8th grade
                    - 1st chair All-State 9th grade
                    - 1st chair at MidFest Honor Band 8th grade ear
                    - 4th chair at JanFest 3rd Honor Band 9th grade year

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
                      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by FreezingGamer View Post
                      I 100% agree. I own a Packer and it is one of the best compensating horns out there for the money! If you do get one, get it off of Reevesbrass. Brand new, they go for about $1200. Also, be sure to try out these horns first before you buy them. I suggest going to a conference, like the Army Tuba-Euph workshop at the end of this month.
                      I vouch for this too. I am located in SEA and I've gotten my JP274 from Mr. Reeves of Reeves Brass. Compared to the pricing I've received from dealers from Taiwan and Singapore, he has the best deal.

Mack Brass, Wessex Dolce are definitely amazing choices too!
                      "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
                      Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• Clayton M.
                        • Aug 2018

Originally posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
                        I vouch for this too. I am located in SEA and I've gotten my JP274 from Mr. Reeves of Reeves Brass. Compared to the pricing I've received from dealers from Taiwan and Singapore, he has the best deal.

Mack Brass, Wessex Dolce are definitely amazing choices too!

SEA = Southeast Asia, in case you were confused like me and initially thought Seattle.
                        Clayton M.
                        Musician for Fun
                        Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
                        Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Comment

• Charlie Baker
                          • Aug 2014

Another factor is the weight of the instrument. I've aged , so I switched from my Yamaha Compensated Euphonium to this Besson because it is sooo much lighter. It's easier to hold without the need for a "pillow" on my knee. Sounds OK, but some intonation problems with a too flat Eb.

Comment

Working...
                          X