Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IOWA: Bent Bell - Fixed by Lee Stofer in Iowa

We have extremely good options for repairmen here in Iowa. Besides Lee Stofer, who is a fine repairman that friends of mine have used, Merlin Grady in Waterloo is a superb tech. He recently aligned the slides on 2 of my trombones and did a superb job.

Here's a link to Merlin's website and some endorsements: http://www.merlingrady.com/testimonials.html

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by John the Theologian View Post
    We have extremely good options for repairmen here in Iowa. Besides Lee Stofer, who is a fine repairman that friends of mine have used, Merlin Grady in Waterloo is a superb tech. He recently aligned the slides on 2 of my trombones and did a superb job.

Here's a link to Merlin's website and some endorsements: http://www.merlingrady.com/testimonials.html
    John - if you read this, your opinion please. I have a Yamaha Douglas Yeo model bass trombone. I have a small dent on the end crook of the slide (probably banged it into a Manhasset music stand while playing). I am considering sending it off for repair after our final symphony concert in April. Would you think Merlin Grady would be a good person to do this work? I am assuming they would have to undo the end crook, fix the dent, then reassemble and align the slide, plus a lacquer job as well. If you don't answer this after a while, I will PM you. Thanks. John
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

John, Merlin would be a great option to send you slide off to. While the Slide Doctor sometimes receives all the accolades for slide work among trombone players, what many don't realize is that the SD sometimes sub-contracts to Merlin when he gets too busy. Steve Shires, when he first began making Shires trombones, often would send slides to Merlin as well to line them up properly

I'm very pleased with what he did with my 2 horns. He did all the things you mentioned that would need to be done to your horn and he put them back together quite nicely He doesn't overcharge, either.

I would just mention to him that you would like to have it back in time for your concert. Our son lives near Waterloo, where Merlin's shop is located and I dropped the horns off when we went for a visit and asked that our son could pick it up a week or 2 later when they were going to make a trip back to see us-- Iowa City is a couple of hours away. Merlin was more than willing to get the horns done in time, so I'm sure he can work with your schedule. He's a really nice guy, too. Just give him a call. i doubt he makes many trips to South Dakota, but I'm sure you can work out shipping it to him.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Thanks, John. I will contact him!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12