Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparison euphoniums

Comparison euphoniums

I saw on YouTube this interesting comparison between Besson 2052, Adams E1 and Jupiter played by Algirdas Matonis: which is your favorite?

https://youtu.be/7blv5_-uzR4
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

In his hands, the Prestige wins out.

The Adams is great, but...

Leave Jupiter in orbit.

DG

It's really an unfair comparison I think since the venues are so different... different acoustics and different mic setups. He sounds great on all the clips.

I'd like to know where he got the shirt around 4 mins in.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

4. Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    I saw on YouTube this interesting comparison between Besson 2052, Adams E1 and Jupiter played by Algirdas Matonis: which is your favorite?

https://youtu.be/7blv5_-uzR4
    The text says it an Adams E3 not E1

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    The text says it an Adams E3 not E1
    It is clearly seen that it is an E1
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

6. Thanks Franz, I would not be able to tell. I have never seen an Adams in a UK brass band.

I preferred the sound of the Prestige, but something that kinda bothers me with the Prestige is that it sounds kinda... heavy?
    I watched a comparison video by Aaron Campbell (AKCeuph) on YouTube where he compares the BE1054 (I believe), the 967 and the 2052, and in that video I also found the Prestige much heavier sounding than the Sovereign, which was much more 'livelier' imo.
    Then again, you can only hear so much on a video recording compared to hearing it in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Thanks Franz, I would not be able to tell. I have never seen an Adams in a UK brass band.
    The E3, compared to E1, has the longest lower branch and the shorter bell. You can see it in this comparison between the models E1,E2 and E3 of the same Algirdas Matonis.

https://youtu.be/b7dk46jlUK4

Of the Adams I like more the E2, followed by the E1 and lastly the E3, but I prefer to these the sound of Besson 2052. Of corse, played by him, all sound great.

Hi guys,
    first of all good wishes to all of happy new year.
    Yesterday I went with a friend to buy a used baritone Courtois 169, a real opportunity, and on the way back we stopped at a musical instruments store that is official dealer of Adams euphoniums. There were two available, both silver plated without trigger, an E1 thickness 0,6 mm with a red brass bell and a E3, 0,6 mm with a bell in yellow brass.
    A first sight they reminded me of Hirsbrunner euphoniums, quite common in my area ( bordered with Switzerland): the plating was impeccable and beautiful to the eye. The horns are much lighter than my Besson 2052, I would say 1-1,5 kg less. Both were very free, without resistance, low register very open and sustained, the high register easily arrives ( for my) up to the F ( treble clef), the dreaded C# easily comes without effort as well as D. The intonation seemed very good, with the sixth partial to perfectly in tone. Among the two I preferred the E3: the E1, probably for the bell in red brass, had a dark sound that I like less than the E3. Overall two excellent horns, although the short time available did not allow me to do a more detailed test. I have also tried a Yamaha Neo with trigger, but I did not like it very much; heavy instrument it offers a lot of resistance, the tone is not bad but the valves did not work well and the trigger was not functional at all ( hard, with little running and look weak). Overall I was glad to finally have tried the Adams, unfortunately only two of the many options that offer. For the moment, however, I did not intend to change my Prestige: an outlay of ever 7000 euros it is not justifiable for amateur use that I make of the instrument and, comparing with my 2052, I still like the sound of Besson: to the advantage of Adams there is the lightness, the ease of emission and the unnecessary use of the trigger, essential on the Besson. When, in a year, I will retire, I will consider to purchase of a new euphonium, which will be unequivocally an Adams E3.
    Good 2019 to all.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    ….When, in a year, I will retire, I will consider to purchase of a new euphonium, which will be unequivocally an Adams E3.
    Good 2019 to all.
    You have seen the light, and it is good (and an Adams)!! They are GREAT horns. I owned a Prestige some years back, a nice horn, but the Adams is the absolute best for me. Enjoy retirement and an Adams E3!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast