Thread: Wessex Tubas Manufacturing Process - Video!

1. Wessex Tubas Manufacturing Process - Video!

www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Nicely done. Showing the human aspect brings home what really goes into making good brass; hard work & talent.

Dennis

Big like.

These workers are not seventy-five-cents-per-hour peasants.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    Big like.

And we know that ... how?

My point is that from a brief video with background music, no narration, no text, and no actual description, what we have is a voiceless video. But if you like that, here's an even longer and more detailed one that's been around for several years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4mSNSd014g. I'm pretty sure that some of the things you see in both would not pass muster in a US factory (OSHA and all that). I particularly like the thin hospital-like face masks rather than actual respirators on the Chinese workers, but wonder what the point is. You may as well follow the Germans and not bother at all -- although I notice that the German lacquer sprayer is wearing a serious respirator with what appears to be its own air supply while the Chinese sprayer seems to be wearing nothing at all, although oddly we don't see anything more than the back of his head.

This is a marketing flick -- not an insight into anything specific about the production process or quality. I'm pretty sure those Chinese workers aren't getting paid as much as the Germans are and probably don't have other benefits of their employment as well. And I'd probably guess that they're getting more that $0.75/hour. But that would be just a guess. I really have NO objective basis for estimating that. I'd be interested to know (say in terms of dollar equivalents) what they are paid (and the Germans too) -- but only as a matter of idle curiousity since the history of the world includes low-paid (or no-paid) workers producing pretty good stuff if they're given the right "incentives", and base pay is only one part of the whole compensation package. Besides, what really matters is the cost to the consumer, eh?
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

From our favorite curmudgeon...

DG

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    From our favorite curmudgeon...

DG
    Hey! I'm the one on record with three Chinese-made instruments that I actually use!! What are YOU doing to support the Chinese economy and way of life?
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I buy a lot of their power tubes worth more than bunches of horns.

DG

Interesting montage! I actually had very little idea how brass instruments are made (I just enjoy the finished product ) so this is very interesting to me, would have liked to see more of a "from start to finish on one single instrument" kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    Clearly for the marketing purposes, they would put the $0.75/hour peasants in the back With the time machine they came in on, because you gotta keep that time machine under wraps.