Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ITEC (International Tuba Euphonium Conference) 2019

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    John Morgan...I was born in Brooklyn, grew up in Queens, and I STILL LOVE THE YANKEES!!!!
    Excellent, also.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    ...And I got to see Miel from Adams Musical Instruments again. He is such a nice fellow and I enjoy visiting with him. Too bad he doesn't have something to sell me, I already have my Adams E3.
    I spoke entirely too soon!!! On my second or third visit to the Adams display and Miel, I somehow got to talking about trombones. Miel said that he just happened to have one at ITEC, unbeknownst to me. He broke it out, and I gave it a go. Uh-oh, big time. I mean I should not have tried this horn. I immediately loved it. It is a tenor with F attachment. It is a very, very free blowing horn. And responsive. And so, so easy to play. When I tried the low Eb with trigger, I got the BEST LOW Eb from a trombone that I have ever had, not even close. The triggered Eb sounded identically as free blowing as any note without the trigger. Not one iota of stuffiness. Totally amazing. Miel said to me, "John, don't you want to take this home?" To make things worse, Linda was there and hearing all my playing on the horn and hearing Miel, and said to me "Get it. It is the best sounding trombone I have ever heard you play on." Well, I did not buy it. On that day. I had to go back to the hotel that night and then spend another couple days pondering this. I came back on Saturday, just about when the Adams display was being packed up as this was the last day of the conference. Tried the horn again, and this time coughed up my credit card and walked out with an Adams TB1 tenor trombone. I love it. I should have known that I could not escape this conference without buying something. Just wasn't thinking trombone. I will write more later on the conference and our experiences there.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Congrats John on your new Adams T-bone! Sounds great.

It’s nice to have a wife who says, “Get it, it’s the best sounding trombone I’ve heard you play on”.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I played the Adams T bone as well and It blew very nicely. I didn't run the F attachment through its paces as you did., though. I also played the Adams E1 and E2 and both were very nice euphoniums. Both slotted the high G very well that is a bit tricky on my Mack Brass horn.

My wife is very kind about my brass hobby, but I never had her say to go ahead and buy a $3300 dollar horn as quickly as yours did, though.
    Last edited by John the Theologian; 06-02-2019 at 07:23 PM. Reason: punctuation left out

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Congrats John on your new Adams T-bone! Sounds great.

It’s nice to have a wife who says, “Get it, it’s the best sounding trombone I’ve heard you play on”.
    Rick - no doubt about having such a super wife. She has been this way forever. Am I lucky or what??
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by John the Theologian View Post
    I played the Adams T bone as well and It blew very nicely. I didn't run the F attachment through its paces as you did., though. I also played the Adams E1 and E2 and both were very nice euphoniums. Both slotted the high G very well that is a bit tricky on my Mack Brass horn.

My wife is very kind about my brass hobby, but I never had her say to go ahead and buy a $3300 dollar horn as quickly as yours did, though.
    Well, I am lucky for sure to have such a supportive wife, but also, I have a nice tenor trombone at home that will be going up for sale shortly. That was part of the grand scheme of getting this new horn. Contrary to what I would prefer or any public opinion, I am not made of money.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Well, I am lucky for sure to have such a supportive wife, but also, I have a nice tenor trombone at home that will be going up for sale shortly. That was part of the grand scheme of getting this new horn. Contrary to what I would prefer or any public opinion, I am not made of money.
    John - does this mean you liked it more than your Edwards trombone?
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    John - does this mean you liked it more than your Edwards trombone?
    Dean - yes, it does mean that. I really like the Edwards, so this is no put down for the Edwards trombone. But this Adams trombone is amazing. A really nice sound, easy to play, and I mean easy. Very responsive horn. The valve on the Adams was, according to Miel, designed in house at Adams (with Miel having a big hand in that), then manufactured in Germany (I think, not 100% positive, but I think that is right). Have not seen one of these before. "Open Flow" valve is what it is called. The trombone is an "open, short wrap" horn meaning the F section does not stick way out past the main tuning slide. I like that. When I get home with this horn after a week at ITEC then a visit to my daughter in Kalamazoo, where we are now, I will play test both horns. I guess you are supposed to do that before you buy the new one, right? But, I know what the Edwards sounds and plays like, so I am fairly confident I will be happy with my choice.

You can see the horn on the Adams website: https://www.adams-music.com/shop/pro...&t=wf&lid=1033

Mine has a gold brass bell, a dual-bore slide and 0.55 mm gauge metal.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 06-03-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Can't blame any chipped notes on the "harmonic pillars" anymore
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Can't blame any chipped notes on the "harmonic pillars" anymore
    You know, I thought at first, that the harmonic pillars thing and all the little bits of various metals and first acoustically tunable trombone were pretty cool. But, the reality is that I NEVER once used any of that at all. I mean, I did put a few of the pieces on/in and blew a few notes, and nothing remarkable happened. Or maybe it did, and I didn't notice. I checked with Joe Alessi, and he says that he does not use that part of the trombone either. But it is a fine trombone. I have had a few good trombone players take a blow on it, and they all said they really liked it.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast