Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RandyL
    • Sep 2014

John, thanks for the time you took to converse with Daniel. Experiences like this are helpful to him as he learns to communicate on the adult level with people who will be important to his future. He talked with profs from several schools where he might be interested in doing grad work, so it was an important week of networking for him. That's the main reason we took the time and expense to make the trip. But meeting you and Linda (and the others) was a nice bonus, too. I'm still trying unsuccessfully, by the way, to remember the younger guy who also showed up for our little gathering; not sure anyone else has mentioned him, either. Maybe he'll chime in here and remind us.

Glad you enjoyed our little recital. I had to spend several hours practicing the music on Friday and Saturday. I played most of the notes correctly, and omitted more than half, I think, of the ones that I'd likely have played incorrectly. That's one of my strengths as an ensemble player: I omit most of my wrong notes. :-) So I did enjoy myself greatly and made a net positive contribution to the group, I think.

Earlier in this thread the idea was mentioned that there would be an attempt to set a world record for the largest tuba-euphonium ensemble. Our music included an indication that it was written for a "massed" ensemble at ITEC 2019. I'm not sure, though, that it would have worked so well for such a large group. I think the rhythms were too intricate and tempos too fast to allow a group of 700 or more to play with adequate cohesion. So I think it probably all worked out for the best.

Have fun with your new 'bone!

Randy

Comment

• John Morgan
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by djwpe View Post
      Randy, I’m glad you enjoyed the presentation. That quip is an adaptation of one I’ve heard over the years about many businesses, particularly sailing related businesses. “The way to make a million dollars selling boats is to start with two million.”

But, for sure, my recital series is a cost center, not a profit center.

Don Winston
      Don,

I, too, thought the comment about a large and small fortune was excellent. I have now officially stolen it, and will use it as my own brilliant quip!

I had not heard about Don Winston and Friends for some unknown reason (I feel more and more like I am living a very sheltered life as I move into my golden years). I looked your organization up online and read through some of your programs, namely #7, #8, #9 and the upcoming #10. Just so you know, I could not get anything for the first 6 programs. I tried a couple different browsers to make sure, still nothing (pdf could not be found I think is what it reported). But, in any event, the programs look very good, and you have great people coming to play as guests as well. This is a really nice concept, and I am happy for you and those who attend that you started this. Wish I was a little closer, I would be at those recitals in "A New York Second!" Bravo, Don, well done!!

John
      Last edited by John Morgan; 06-04-2019, 03:15 PM.
      John Morgan
      The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
      Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
      1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
      Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
      Year Round Except Summer:
      Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
      KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
      Summer Only:
      Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
      Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• djwpe
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
        Don,

I, too, thought the comment about a large and small fortune was excellent. I have now officially stolen it, and will use it as my own brilliant quip!

I had not heard about Don Winston and Friends for some unknown reason (I feel more and more like I am living a very sheltered life as I move into my golden years). I looked your organization up online and read through some of your programs, namely #7, #8, #9 and the upcoming #10. Just so you know, I could not get anything for the first 6 programs. I tried a couple different browsers to make sure, still nothing (pdf could not be found I think is what it reported). But, in any event, the programs look very good, and you have great people coming to play as guests as well. This is a really nice concept, and I am happy for you and those who attend that you started this. Wish I was a little closer, I would be at those recitals in "A New York Second!" Bravo, Don, well done!!

John
        Thanks for the kind words, John. I noticed that the earlier programs are missing on the site. I need to organize that a bit better.

Note that I stream the concerts on Facebook, and the streams are archived on the Facebook page. Please see http://www.Facebook.com/donwinstonandfriends

Comment

Working...
        X