Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ITEC (International Tuba Euphonium Conference) 2019

ITEC (International Tuba Euphonium Conference) 2019

ITEC 2019 starts May 25, 2019 and is hosted by Univ. of Iowa in Iowa City. If you’ve never attended an ITEC conference, you should consider going. I went to one in 2002 at Greensboro, NC and it was great.

https://www.iteaonline.org/conferenc...%20ITEC%202019
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    My wife and I are going. Went to Knoxville ITEC in 2016, and it was great. Taking the motorcycle, again. This one is a little closer to home (South Dakota). Fun, fun, fun. I want to try the Wessex duplex horn among others, and of course hear all the players.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Since we live in Iowa City, attending at least some of these sessions seems like a no-brainer. Hopefully I will have the chance to meet a few of you.

I understand from a euphonium-playing acquaintance, that there is going to be some sort of attempt at setting a world record of a massed tuba-euphonium ensemble outdoors on the Pentacrest in Iowa City. I haven't heard the exact time yet, but hopefully we locals-- I know a number of euphonium and tuba players-- will be able to add to the number of those of you who are coming from far afield.

Quote Originally Posted by John the Theologian View Post
    Since we live in Iowa City, attending at least some of these sessions seems like a no-brainer. Hopefully I will have the chance to meet a few of you.

I understand from a euphonium-playing acquaintance, that there is going to be some sort of attempt at setting a world record of a massed tuba-euphonium ensemble outdoors on the Pentacrest in Iowa City. I haven't heard the exact time yet, but hopefully we locals-- I know a number of euphonium and tuba players-- will be able to add to the number of those of you who are coming from far afield.
    I heard that, too. However, I also heard about a world record that was set I think in the Chicago area not too long ago with something like 700 tuba/euphonium players?? Playing Silent Night I think. If that is/was true, then that record might be hard to beat, but who knows.... I will have a euphonium (maybe take another for my wife to "hold", but I guess that would be sort of cheating, so maybe not).
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

I guess my wife could "hold" one as well, but I only have on euphonium, unlike trombones where I own 4.

She could borrow one. I have a friend who collects all sorts of brass instruments and has spares. He even owns an "equestrian" valve trombone with the slide bent at 90 degree angle. He brought that one out at a Christmas gig we did once.

Perhaps those of us who frequent this forum could set some time when we could all meet each other and put faces and voices together with the words we've written on this website.

Good idea about meeting. Since each day is packed with stuff any of us might want to see, perhaps one of the evenings where there is an After Dark Concert @ The Mill (Tue, Thu or Sat)? Or at the Marriot on Thursday evening?
    Last edited by John Morgan; 04-24-2019 at 05:43 PM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Good suggestion.

The Mill is just across the street and down a couple of doors from the Music building. The Marriott is not far away, either. Whenever we figure out who might be there, we can talk about getting together.

Correction. I was thinking of the Sheraton which is downtown. The Marriott is in Coralville, an Iowa City suburb a few miles away from downtown. It has easy access off of I80, but is some distance from the music school.
    Last edited by John the Theologian; 04-24-2019 at 10:51 PM. Reason: mistake in place

A month ago we mentioned the possibility of some of us meeting at the ITEC. Although I live in Iowa City, I haven't signed up for any of the sessions-- I've been busy and have a gig on Memorial Day, so I haven't looked over the schedule a lot. I'll still planning on checking the schedule out more thoroughly.

One thing I can't found on the schedule, though, is what the cost of individual concerts are. There are some that are interesting. If anyone knows about that, please let me know.

However, someone suggested meeting at the Mill for one of the evening Jazz sessions. If anyone is interested in doing that and has a particular evening in mind, I'm open to a suggestion. I'd like to meet some of you who are in town. Just let me know and I'll try to see if I can be at the Mill and we can figure out how to connect.

I'm not sure there is a per-event arrangement, except for my recital. It seemed like I had to twist arms to get that agreed to. It is $15, and you would go to the registration desk to pay and get a pass. In my case, I anticipate at couple folks who are not members of ITEA and would have to reason to be, so that MAY be part of my special deal. Perhaps there is a per-event fee for members, or maybe a day-registration fee.

John Manning was kind enough to put a link to email him on this page:

https://www.iteaonline.org/conferenc...%20ITEC%202019

You could ask about other events you might want to see. Please post updates here if you learn anything.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast