Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: ITEC (International Tuba Euphonium Conference) 2019

John, are you driving past Iowa City again? We're gone on vacation this week, but will be back next week.

It was great to see Dave, the two Johns (the Theologian and the trombonist), Snorlax, and it seems like somebody else--and a couple of the wives. Also my son Daniel was with me. Really fun to play in the "amateur" ensemble on Saturday evening as well. And Don Winston delivered a really fine quip at the panel session on forming a community tuba-euph ensemble: "The way to make a small fortune with a euphonium is to start with a really large fortune!" I don't know whether that's original to him, adapted from some other field, or what, but I never heard it before, and it seemed a great way to make the point that playing euphonium is, for most people, a much better way to lose money than to make it.

I've commented elsewhere on the forum about my distinct lack of prowess as a euphonium player, but this conference has given me a nice way to portray myself otherwise. What follows is an absolutely true statement: Gene Pokorny heard me playing my euphonium, and he said to me, "You're my hero!"

Of course it wasn't quite that straightforward. He was in the audience when the "amateur" ensemble played on Saturday evening, so he heard me playing my euphonium. Two days earlier, on Thursday, he claimed an empty spot at our banquet table and, before eating dessert, asked people near him to guard his chocolate cake while he went to talk to some people. Somehow we failed to notice that the table server had cleared all the desserts off the table until Mr. Pokorny returned to find his cake gone. When I located the table against the back wall where the server had stacked the dessert plates, I found an untouched piece on the top of the stack and brought it to him, eliciting his exclamation, "You're my hero!" So what I wrote is perfectly true. Gene Pokorny heard me playing my euphonium, and two days earlier he had also said to me, "You're my hero!"

There was also some additional discussion about chocolate cake that prompts me to inform anyone who may entertain Mr. Pokorny at your home for dinner: chocolate cake will be a big hit, and it might be a good idea to bake one more cake than you would expect to need. :-)

Randy

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    John the Theologian - We are actually going from Kalamazoo around Chicago, up to Milwaukee, over to Madison, then I-90 all the way home to Sturgis. We plan to stop at the Harley-Davidson Museum in Milwaukee for two reasons: 1) I ride a Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited (motorcycle #30 in my lifetime and probably last one) and 2) We have never been there before. So, sorry we won't be going through Iowa City, which we thoroughly enjoyed while at ITEC.

Randy - Delightful meeting you and your son Daniel as well. I wish him well in his Euphonium endeavors. Again, I am glad I met you, anyone who is a hero to Gene Pokorny must be a pretty swell fellow!! Linda and I were at the "Young at Heart" ensemble on Saturday evening as well. Nicely done. What a splendid week it all was.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
    And Don Winston delivered a really fine quip at the panel session on forming a community tuba-euph ensemble: "The way to make a small fortune with a euphonium is to start with a really large fortune!" I don't know whether that's original to him, adapted from some other field, or what, but I never heard it before, and it seemed a great way to make the point that playing euphonium is, for most people, a much better way to lose money than to make it.
    Randy, I’m glad you enjoyed the presentation. That quip is an adaptation of one I’ve heard over the years about many businesses, particularly sailing related businesses. “The way to make a million dollars selling boats is to start with two million.”

But, for sure, my recital series is a cost center, not a profit center.

Don Winston

Don,

The comment struck me, just as you explained, as something that could be applicable to many things and that perhaps you had heard or even devised yourself about some other endeavor and then pressed into this extra duty for the euphonium.

The panel was indeed helpful. Thanks for your contribution to the advancement of our instrument, including the financial aspects.

Randy

John, thanks for the time you took to converse with Daniel. Experiences like this are helpful to him as he learns to communicate on the adult level with people who will be important to his future. He talked with profs from several schools where he might be interested in doing grad work, so it was an important week of networking for him. That's the main reason we took the time and expense to make the trip. But meeting you and Linda (and the others) was a nice bonus, too. I'm still trying unsuccessfully, by the way, to remember the younger guy who also showed up for our little gathering; not sure anyone else has mentioned him, either. Maybe he'll chime in here and remind us.

Glad you enjoyed our little recital. I had to spend several hours practicing the music on Friday and Saturday. I played most of the notes correctly, and omitted more than half, I think, of the ones that I'd likely have played incorrectly. That's one of my strengths as an ensemble player: I omit most of my wrong notes. :-) So I did enjoy myself greatly and made a net positive contribution to the group, I think.

Earlier in this thread the idea was mentioned that there would be an attempt to set a world record for the largest tuba-euphonium ensemble. Our music included an indication that it was written for a "massed" ensemble at ITEC 2019. I'm not sure, though, that it would have worked so well for such a large group. I think the rhythms were too intricate and tempos too fast to allow a group of 700 or more to play with adequate cohesion. So I think it probably all worked out for the best.

Have fun with your new 'bone!

Randy

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by djwpe View Post
    Randy, I’m glad you enjoyed the presentation. That quip is an adaptation of one I’ve heard over the years about many businesses, particularly sailing related businesses. “The way to make a million dollars selling boats is to start with two million.”

But, for sure, my recital series is a cost center, not a profit center.

Don Winston
    Don,

I, too, thought the comment about a large and small fortune was excellent. I have now officially stolen it, and will use it as my own brilliant quip!

I had not heard about Don Winston and Friends for some unknown reason (I feel more and more like I am living a very sheltered life as I move into my golden years). I looked your organization up online and read through some of your programs, namely #7, #8, #9 and the upcoming #10. Just so you know, I could not get anything for the first 6 programs. I tried a couple different browsers to make sure, still nothing (pdf could not be found I think is what it reported). But, in any event, the programs look very good, and you have great people coming to play as guests as well. This is a really nice concept, and I am happy for you and those who attend that you started this. Wish I was a little closer, I would be at those recitals in "A New York Second!" Bravo, Don, well done!!

John
    Last edited by John Morgan; 06-04-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Don,

I, too, thought the comment about a large and small fortune was excellent. I have now officially stolen it, and will use it as my own brilliant quip!

I had not heard about Don Winston and Friends for some unknown reason (I feel more and more like I am living a very sheltered life as I move into my golden years). I looked your organization up online and read through some of your programs, namely #7, #8, #9 and the upcoming #10. Just so you know, I could not get anything for the first 6 programs. I tried a couple different browsers to make sure, still nothing (pdf could not be found I think is what it reported). But, in any event, the programs look very good, and you have great people coming to play as guests as well. This is a really nice concept, and I am happy for you and those who attend that you started this. Wish I was a little closer, I would be at those recitals in "A New York Second!" Bravo, Don, well done!!

John
    Thanks for the kind words, John. I noticed that the earlier programs are missing on the site. I need to organize that a bit better.

Note that I stream the concerts on Facebook, and the streams are archived on the Facebook page. Please see http://www.Facebook.com/donwinstonandfriends

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345