Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ITEC (International Tuba Euphonium Conference) 2019

I'll be down there after the evening concert!
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Sorry I’m missing this. I was in town briefly to speak on the panel Tuesday morning about community Tuba-Euph ensembles. I did get to meet John Morgan (who showed me his gorgeous engraved Adams) and got to see Jim again. I left this morning on the 6:45 flight out of CID.

Don Winston

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    So nice meeting some of you after the concert tonight (Wed, May 29). What an amazing concert!!! The Fountain City Brass Band was just absolutely mind-boggling good!! Sure wish there was a band even remotely close to being as good as they are near where I live. Would love to play in a brass band. And Tormod Flaten was about as good on euphonium as anyone I have ever heard. And Velvet Brown and Oystein Baadsvik on tuba, what phenomenal players they are.

Besides seeing Dave Werden and his wife, Denise, I saw Jim (Snorlax), John (John the Theologian), and a few others and the names are escaping me right now, I am such a moron. Please chime in for those whose names I forgot already. I also got to meet Don Winston (djwpe) on Tuesday at the community Tuba-Euph ensemble panel. A New Yorker!! I forgot to tell him I was born in New York (West Point when my dad taught there after WWII). And that I am an absolute die-hard New York Yankees fan. Maybe Don likes the Mets, not sure, but he should like the Yankees!!

ITEC is just about as good as it gets in hearing all the stellar euphonium and tuba players from around the world. And some really great ensembles (Orchestra Iowa, Fountain City Brass Band, etc.). If you ever get a chance to attend one of these, GO!!!!!!!!

And it is REALLY fun to try out all the instruments. I will check out the new Wessex hand made euphonium which is supposed to arrive tomorrow (Thursday) according to Jonathan of Wessex. I saw him today and played on the Wessex double bell euphonium. Interesting instrument, but also quite like picking up your dining room table to play. Not really that bad, but the horn is kind of big and it feels like you are holding something substantial, because it is. This might be a sit down instrument to play. It does play nice, and it is nice to see at least one company (Wessex) willing to make one. Now if I didn't already have THREE euphoniums!!

And I got to see Miel from Adams Musical Instruments again. He is such a nice fellow and I enjoy visiting with him. Too bad he doesn't have something to sell me, I already have my Adams E3.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Yes, it was great to meet you John, Jim, Randy and a few others who, like John Morgan, their names skip my aging brain right now, along with Dave, of course. The concert was fabulous for showing euphonium and tuba virtuosity. I agree that the Fountain Street band was fabulous as well. I used to play in our local British Brass band, the Eastern Iowa Brass band, a very fine organization, and I often wish I had both the time and the skills to still play in it. British Brass band music is not only extremely challenging, but is also some of the most exciting music written for brass players, especially for euphonium.

I hope to catch most of Dave's recital on Saturday, after our community band plans for Arts Fest in downtown Iowa City. Perhaps I"ll see some of you again then. I'll be in my white top, black pants "uniform" that we wear.

John Morgan, I’m not a baseball fan at all. When I was, I followed the Yankees.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by djwpe View Post
    John Morgan, I’m not a baseball fan at all. When I was, I followed the Yankees.

Don
    Excellent!!!
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

John Morgan...I was born in Brooklyn, grew up in Queens, and I STILL LOVE THE YANKEES!!!!
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

White Sox fan, here. Born in Gary, Indiana and have solid NW Indiana, south east Chicago roots on all sides of the family. My families were among the pioneers in Munster-Highland, Indiana and one of my great grandparents farmed at what is now 127th and State in south Chicago just after he emigrated from the Netherlands in the 1880s.

We bleed black and white!

https://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=37938

They came a long way to win...

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    https://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=37938

They came a long way to win...

Dennis
    Linda and I saw them perform. They were very good and also very engaging. We got a chance to speak to the baritone player later on, and she was charming. That was an interesting instrumentation with two tubas, a euphonium and a baritone. It seemed to work very nicely.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast