Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Adam's E1

I know you weren’t asking me, but I’ll interject.

I play on the K&G 3.5, and I came from both a SM3X and SM4X.

I find the K&G 3.5 to feel similar in size to the SM4X, with the same openness, but with a much more comfortable rim contour that allows me similar flexibility and articulation without the loss of endurance I sometimes felt on the SMX series.

I also have the K&G3 and I find that comparable to the SM3X with the same differences described above.

I tried it because I kept going between the alliance DC series (which I liked the rim contour on), and the SMX series because of its open throat. The K&G piece is exactly what I was looking for to bridge the features of both pieces I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by bdawley81 View Post
    Awesome to hear! They have been awesome to work with. I can't wait to get playing on it. I see you play on a K&G 3.5D. How does that mouthpiece compare to the Schilke 51D or SMX3?
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post

I find the K&G 3.5 to feel similar in size to the SM4X, with the same openness, but with a much more comfortable rim contour that allows me similar flexibility and articulation without the loss of endurance I sometimes felt on the SMX series.

I also have the K&G3 and I find that comparable to the SM3X with the same differences described above.

I tried it because I kept going between the alliance DC series (which I liked the rim contour on), and the SMX series because of its open throat. The K&G piece is exactly what I was looking for to bridge the features of both pieces I liked.
    Super! That gives me a very accurate picture of what to expect. Thanks for the feedback!
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director
    Solo Euphonium, Five Lakes Metro Brass Band

Besson Prestige 2052 (Gold)
    Shires Q41S (Medium Shank)

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post

I play with a K&G 3D and I fully agree with what was said above. K&G great mouthpieces.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Coming back to this thread late but absolutely agree with all of the above. The 3.5D feels slightly smaller to me than the Wick 4 series but I feel I'm able to obtain 90% of the Wick singing quality with 200% more endurance. I was finding that with the Wicks I would simply run out of high range way too early during long concert/rehearsal sets. Part of this has to do with how much less practicing I'm doing and also how much mouthpiece pressure I use (more than probably is needed). The narrow Wick/SM rims were pinching off my blood supply leading to fatigue (and possibly injury). I've run the gamut of mouthpieces and while I've had success with rounder pieces, I've never found anything that matched the beautiful singing Wick quality. So I'd have to choose between sounding my best or lasting throughout a concert.

Anyway the K&G meets both of these. The Wick still sounds sweeter to my ear, but not by much. As with anything, your mileage may vary but I've been playing the K&G now since April of 2017 and have yet to have that "longing" to return to the Wick series because I miss the sound. That NEVER happened with any other piece with me - I always missed the Wick sound.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Congratulations, Ben!! You will love your new Adams!! They are such great horns. I, to this day, and I am in my lower 70's, get as excited as a little kid at Christmas each and every time I get a new instrument. Just really something about getting a brand new horn. Anxious to hear your thoughts on the horn once it arrives.
    John,
    I've had the E1 for about a week and a half now, and I have to say it is the best playing horn I have ever played. I am totally sold on Adams! It plays with an ease and resonance that is crazy awesome!
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Ben,

Really glad you like it, and it seems to be all that you hoped for. Enjoy it immensely. For a long, long time!!

John
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by bdawley81 View Post
    John,
    I've had the E1 for about a week and a half now, and I have to say it is the best playing horn I have ever played. I am totally sold on Adams! It plays with an ease and resonance that is crazy awesome!
    That's just what I experienced when I first tried Adams! Well said.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    That's just what I experienced when I first tried Adams! Well said.
    Thanks Dave! I truly mean that sincerely. I just need to find the best slotting for the AGR, but I'm being picky...
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12