Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darker Tone Schilke 51D VS. Brighter Tone Bach 6 ½ AL Request for Guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    I agree that we should strive for a characteristic euphonium sound, but I think that it is better to be able to hit the high notes and compromise a little on sound than to have a traditional sound but miss a lot of notes! Some folks can't develop the embouchure necessary to support a large mpc, whether it be limited practice time, age, etc. I had transitioned from a 5 to a 4 cup recently, but have some demanding high range performances coming up. I'm going back to the 5 series for those performances for the reason I stated.

JP
    No problem at all. There are a lot of factors to consider. I'm no kid at 61 but I do play a lot and am able to support the air through my horn which is an advantage in the upper registers. Thus my SM4MX works fine for me.

2. Hello...In my opinion you can never go wrong with a Bach 6 1/2 AL.
    But you might want to check into what type of baritone the band uses and if they have a preferred brand of mouthpiece.

I play a Bach trombone and the Bach mouthpiece sounds great with it. It was no problem to switch the mouthpiece over to a Yamaha baritone - just had to get a shank adapter because the bore on my trombone is smaller that the one on my baritone.

pcb quote
    Last edited by MelliLewis; 10-19-2020 at 03:26 PM.

I know its an older thread, but I am chiming in anyway. You can also try a Wick 6B (Steven Mead or traditional), if you like the Bach overall. They are a bit roomier. The traditional 6B is an improved 6 1/2 with a better tone and low register. The Mead version has a different cup shape and rim contour that make it feel even a little more roomier than the traditional 6B. I have enjoyed using the Karl Hammond mouthpieces. The 13ML is like a 6 1/2 with a deeper cup, and with the bowl to funnel shaped cup that is his standard design, really helps the upper register. My $0.02.
    Raul Escobar
    1985 Willson 2900BS, Hammond 11L
    1974 King 4BF Silver Sonorous, Hammond 12ML
    1972 King Duo Gravis, Hammond 20BLL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12