Thread: Dallenbach's mouthpiece

Dallenbach's mouthpiece

My wife and I drove up to Winston-Salem last night for a Canadian Brass performance at Wake Forest University. As usual, they were great -- including Daellenbach on his smallish CC tuba that's now sporting a carbon fiber bell.

I was in an aisle seat when the group did their usual walk-in playing Closer Walk, looked up as Daellenbach walked by and immediately thought "Yikes!". Yes, there it was, as bright as the light of day (literally): a crystal red Kelly mouthpiece. I couldn't quite see which version it was, but I suspect it was the "Kellyburg" (or maybe the 18).

I've always liked these mouthpieces, have one (a 25) for my little Eb tuba, one (crystal purple, 1.5G) as a backup for my bass trombone, and a crystal orange 12C that (with sanded down shank) works well in my Olds Standard trombone.

It was interesting to see a professional at this level of performance using one of these mouthpieces, and it ought to make people think twice about any reluctance to recommend them for students. I wish they had a few more models, but they do seem to have expanded the set over the years.
    Last edited by ghmerrill; 12-07-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

2. Since Kelly started making tuba mouthpieces a few years ago, I have always had an 18 for outdoor tuba playing. The only thing I have done to it is to wrap the throat with one layer of golfer's lead tape to stabilize the throat for dynamic extremes. Yes, everybody who may have any occasion to play outdoors should have a Kelly for inclement weather, especially too cold and too hot conditions which a regular mouthpiece will either freeze or sear an embouchure.

... or ... a DE with a lexan rim. (Some difference in cost may be encountered.)
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    ... or ... a DE with a lexan rim. (Some difference in cost may be encountered.)
    I have both and use both and love both!
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium