Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need mouthpiece recommendation - 5G alternative

Need mouthpiece recommendation - 5G alternative

And yet another request for a mouthpiece recommendation. I currently play a Bach 5G on a Yamaha 642S. I'm looking for a mouthpiece that meets these criteria:
    • Sounds more euphonium-like than the 5G
    • A warmer and/or darker tone would be a bonus
    • A mp that doesn't require any more or much more air
    • A mp that is as easy or easier in the upper register as the 5G

Does such a mp exist? Please let me know your recommendations.

Thanks!

JP

I may be wrong but to me that you need a larger mouthpiece with a wider rim and deeper cup to achieve some of your goals and a shallower cup to achieve upper register ease. Those are not compatible. Perhaps the new Wick SM4XR would work. It's similar to the current Wick SM4X but with a more comfortable rim and shallower cup. It's still larger than a 5G though. IMO high range is not always correlated to a shallow cup. It's about breath support meaning the same amount of air directed with the right amount of support from the player's midsection.

I heard Steven Mead twice this past weekend performing on his Besson Prestige 2052 with the SM4X. Not a huge mouthpiece but he had no issues with his incredible range, often playing above high Bb. Of course he is a monster player but it shows what great breath support can do.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    I may be wrong but to me that you need a larger mouthpiece with a wider rim...
    Thanks Michael. By wider rim, do you mean the actual width of the rim or are you talking about a larger cup diameter?

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Thanks Michael. By wider rim, do you mean the actual width of the rim or are you talking about a larger cup diameter?

JP
    Larger cup diameter.

I'm surprised that Michael has been my only response, so let's try it another way. How about the Wick 4.5AL, 5AL, 5ABL, or other variants?

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    I'm surprised that Michael has been my only response...
    I thought Michael was saying what I would have, for the most part.

You've probably seen before on the forum that I went from a 5G to a 4BL as a compromise (for a while, until I could tolerate the 4AL). 4BL is shallower than the 5G. That's what I was using here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB_ZrbsmMfQ

Although I had been using the 4AL for a while when this particular video was made, but I had a tough day at Midwest, with a rehearsal and a tuba quartet recital earlier, plus a challenging band program, so I switched to the 4BL temporarily for this gig.

Paul Droste was in the audience, and came up afterward. He commented that I sounded a bit brighter than he remembered. (Good ear!)

The 4BL is more open than the 5G and a bit darker in my experience. But it is not a no-cost switch - it will take a bit more effort than the 5G until you get used to it.

I have not tried a Wick 5, but that might be a path for you. I know the Wick 4AL sounds a bit more open and euphonium-ish than a Bach 4G.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I forgot to mention - sorry for the video's aspect ratio. YouTube changed something since it was posted. I'll have to re-make it once again!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I played on a 5G for less than a year. I then switched to a Wick 5AL. The tone improved for me on my then Yamaha 641, but the 6th partials played a little sharper. Wick’s cup is a bit more funnel shaped so the tone sounded better to me. After a couple of years I met with Doug Elliott who recommended one of his set ups... 102 rim, ‘I’ cup, I9 shank.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    You've probably seen before on the forum that I went from a 5G to a 4BL as a compromise (for a while, until I could tolerate the 4AL). 4BL is shallower than the 5G. That's what I was using here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB_ZrbsmMfQ
    Thanks Dave. Yes, I have read and re-read most of the mp posts on the forum. I agree that your sound is brighter with the 4BL, but you played it beautifully.

I'm okay putting a little more air into the horn, but I'm already wishing I could play longer phrases without taking a breath so I can't afford much more air.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I played on a 5G for less than a year. I then switched to a Wick 5AL. The tone improved for me on my then Yamaha 641, but the 6th partials played a little sharper. Wick’s cup is a bit more funnel shaped so the tone sounded better to me. After a couple of years I met with Doug Elliott who recommended one of his set ups... 102 rim, ‘I’ cup, I9 shank.
    Thanks Rick!

JP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast