Thread: Tips on developing high register?

Tips on developing high register?

Hey everyone!

I’ve been trying to improve my high register for quite a while these days and am finding it quite difficult, partially because after about 15 minutes of practising high range, I can no longer play in that range. Do you guys have any tips on how to practice high range? Maybe any specific sections in the Arban?
    Thanks a ton.

You might want to acquire a copy of David Vinings' "Range Songs" book. It has exercises going from high concert F to super-F, five exercises for each, plus low exercises going from low F to pedal Bb. If you're not taking lessons or getting some coaching in another way, you might want to start doing that, as well.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

You will find a good range-building technique here:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...ight=highrange

But it is important to balance your practice. When I am warmed up sufficiently I usually go through some scales as described in the linked thread, but, as you find, I feel my chops getting "tight" if I go too hard at it non-stop. The thread described 2-octave scales. So let's say (talking concert pitch) that I just played from Bb on the 2nd line up to high Bb 4 lines above the staff, and then came back down again. The next thing I will do is start a 2-octave scale on pedal Bb (an octave lower), play up to Bb on top of the staff, then descend back to the pedal (I'll allow myself a breath in the middle for the low scales). If I am playing the high scales up to a high F above high Bb, then I will do the low scale from pedal F.

By doing this, I stay flexible as I build the muscles for my high range. BTW, most people suggest that building your low range is ESSENTIAL to building a quality high range.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you for this informative thread! I've just been able to attain the high B-flat (TC) in Khachaturian's "To the Heroes of the Patriotic War" but they are not yet sustained/melodic. I will try this.
    Euph Loosh
    Imperial by Boosey & Hawkes 4-valve Euphonium (mid-1950's)
    MPs: Kosikup 1 1/2, Bowman BB2 Euro shank, Denis Wick 4AM; Marcus Bonna case

Thank you so much!