Thread: Mouthpiece Suggestions

Mouthpiece Suggestions

I know that the mouthpiece is a topic based on personal preference, but I was looking for some cursory suggestions based on my playing experience so far in my college studies. I've been on a Yamaha 642 for several years now (I hope to move to something new in a couple years), and I've played on an SM4U, SM4x, and Schilke 51D in my time of playing. I've tested a couple mouthpieces like a classic 4al and a DC2 and didn't love them in my minimal testing. I like the cup depth and overall support of the SM4X but I enjoy the rounded rim and tone purity of the 51D (I don't hate the infamous "Dennis Wick fuzz", i just get a clearer sound naturally on the 51D). The issue is that my range is better on the 51D, weirdly enough, but the way my tone speaks on it is pure but thin compared to the Wick. I was looking to get some suggestions on mouthpieces or just what some other players are using and why. Thank you so much!

Mouthpieces are somewhat personal. For each player's taste and chop condition, that choice is personal. But there are some facts of life.

I'd like a car like a Bentley, with its room, comfort, and power. But I would like it to get the mileage of a Prius. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon. That's kinda what we face with mouthpieces.

A wider cup and/or a larger throat will give you a bigger, more open sound. But more open means more room for fuzz (Wick or otherwise). It will also tax your endurance for a while until your muscles adjust.

A narrower cup and/or throat will give you a smaller, more focused sound. It will lessen fuzz and will help your endurance.

A 4AL has a shallower cousin, the 4BL. I used that for a while in the Coast Guard when we had especially taxing programs. It was as wide as the 4AL but had a shallower cup, so its high range was more focused and brilliant. My tone was also brighter than I wanted.

A 51D is not the same as it was 40 years ago when I bought the one I have. I think the new ones have opened the throat, which helped make it better. The old one has a high range that is not nearly great. New ones are better. Anyway, the 51D is somewhat narrow compared to the "4" series, but is still pretty deep. It gives up a little in tone size but has plenty of tone darkness and consistency through the main range.

Or so I think, anyway.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

What is this Denis Wick fuss that I keep reading about? Googling doens't seem to give me an explanation of it. Is it the residual buzz outside of the mouthpiece?
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    What is this Denis Wick fuss that I keep reading about? Googling doens't seem to give me an explanation of it. Is it the residual buzz outside of the mouthpiece?
    I'm not exactly sure but David in his post above answers your question.

I've played Wick mouthpieces for a number of years now, first a SM4M and now an SM4MX. The larger cup of the X model gives are more open sound which could be described as less focused or more "fuzzy" which is what I want for brass band playing. Prior to the Wicks I played an older Schilke 51D which was not well suited to this medium. A strong embouchure can help limit the "fuzziness" and keep the tone solid. Larger deep bowl mouthpieces require a solid embouchure and a lot of air.

Here is another thread on this topic:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...z#.XAH-92hKhPY

Thank you for the link! Somehow didn't come across that during my search. So it's the feeling of the sound not being as focused and as if it's more" airy". Interesting.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

I personnaly don't like too much DW mouthpieces I tried (sm4, sm 3.5). I have a K&G 3.5D and I am very happy with it. My colleague just bought a Perantucci mouthpiece (he used to play a Yamaha mouthpiece) and the result is good as well.
    Last edited by run76; 12-01-2018 at 08:32 AM.

7. I have owned at least one copy of all the popular Wick mouthpieces above. Once I tried Giddings, I had no use for them. They are a bit pricey, but you can find used ones on Ebay occasionally, and being stainless steel, used is pretty much good as new. Suggest Kadja, GW-102, and/or GW 103.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebust View Post
    I like the cup depth and overall support of the SM4X but I enjoy the rounded rim and tone purity of the 51D (I don't hate the infamous "Dennis Wick fuzz", i just get a clearer sound naturally on the 51D). The issue is that my range is better on the 51D, weirdly enough, but the way my tone speaks on it is pure but thin compared to the Wick. I was looking to get some suggestions on mouthpieces or just what some other players are using and why.
    Like you, I tried the Dennis Wick stuff, and went back to my Schilke because I liked the attack and focus... but the rim diameter was smaller than I was use to. I moved up to the 52E2 and that pretty much worked for me. The rim is narrower like the SM Ultra stuff, but still had the Schilke sound ... to me.