Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SM4U Ultra

SM4U Ultra

Hi,

I just bought a silver SM4U mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is slight loose in the receiver. I have to push it in to get it to fit snugly. I do not have that issue with the 4AL. Anyone experience this. Playing a Mack Brass Euph but have been using a 4AL for 3 years on it with no issues. Just curious. I like the mouthpiece but don't like that I have to "snug it up" so to speak to get it to fit firmly.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Sounds like it's out of round. Did you buy it new? If so, return it for a new one.

I'll check that. It didn't appear to be but I will check closer. Yes, purchased new from the Woodwind and Brasswind.

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

I don't have my SM5 anymore to verify, but if I remember correctly my SM4U sat further in my Willson than the other DW mouthpieces did. Not loose per say, but just more of the shank into the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by TD517 View Post
    I don't have my SM5 anymore to verify, but if I remember correctly my SM4U sat further in my Willson than the other DW mouthpieces did. Not loose per say, but just more of the shank into the receiver.
    Thanks. The Shank is not out of round so I think maybe you are correct that it is just farther in that what I'm used to. I appreciate the replies!

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    Thanks. The Shank is not out of round so I think maybe you are correct that it is just farther in that what I'm used to. I appreciate the replies!
    Sitting further in should not make it loose. Perhaps it goes in too far, and is bottoming out before it is properly seated. Another possibilty, do you have the correct shank size? It should not be loose.

Mike

I have run into wobbly mouthpiece/receiver combinations a few times on equipment I owned. In my case these were bass-trombone size (large) setups, just as described above. It has to do with either the receiver or mouthpiece having a slightly different taper compared to "standard." I still don't know which was non-standard.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

It is the correct shank size. It is not loose when fully seated. If I "snug it up" so to speak it is fine. I am using a Wick 4AL with no issues but this is slightly wobbly I am also playing on a clone of a 642 and it could be the receiver too.........I'm an experienced player and know that it isn't quite right. I may return it for a different piece. I do appreciate all of the comments. Thank you!

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Some receivers on Mack Brass euphs are "odd." Having had the same issue with my Mack Brass horn, I asked the person who works on my horns to bore out a bit in the receiver taper until my mouthpiece fit snugly.
    (He also vented the valves, which I highly recommend.)
    Jim
    Last edited by Snorlax; 12-02-2018 at 09:19 PM.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

I did not encounter this issue with the SM4UX that I tried.
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast