X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghmerrill
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Himura View Post
    Completely clearing browser cache (and maybe even doing a total uninstall and reinstall of the browser).
    Clear the DNS cache as well.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• adrian_quince
      • Mar 2015

pvflanagan,

That is McAfee software installed somewhere inside your environment doing web traffic interception, most likely on your router. IIRC, shp.mcafee.com is used by their Secure Home Platform product. If you got your router from your ISP (Comcast, AT&T, etc.), you'll want to reach out to them for support, otherwise contact the manufacturer.
      Adrian L. Quince
      Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
      www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Comment

• pvflanigan
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by adrian_quince View Post
        pvflanagan,

That is McAfee software installed somewhere inside your environment doing web traffic interception, most likely on your router. IIRC, shp.mcafee.com is used by their Secure Home Platform product. If you got your router from your ISP (Comcast, AT&T, etc.), you'll want to reach out to them for support, otherwise contact the manufacturer.
        Thank you Adrian. This is the first suggestion I think will work. I've tried clearing cache on browsers and DNS but that didn't work and it actually didn't make sense as it was happening in three different browsers. I've been reading about my cable modem / router and it does appear that it has the McAffee Secure Home Platform installed in it and that this is the guilty culprit that is holding on to the bad certificates. I had this same problem with eBay a few weeks ago when their certificate expired. It took forever before I was able to access that site again. So while the aim of the product seems to be good, it is a pain in the tail when it's not responsive to known trusted sites that have glitches in their certification. I'll talk to them and see what can be done.

Comment

• RickF
          • Jan 2006

McAfee used to be a pretty good product but I'm not so sure anymore. I was a forum moderator about 20 years ago for McAfee when the best version was version 7.

BUT... you might not have any choice in the matter if it's included as part of your internet service provider.
          Rick Floyd
          Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
          Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
          The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
          Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)
          ​

Comment

• pvflanigan
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RickF View Post
            McAfee used to be a pretty good product but I'm not so sure anymore. I was a forum moderator about 20 years ago for McAfee when the best version was version 7.

BUT... you might not have any choice in the matter if it's included as part of your internet service provider.
            After spending nearly two hours talking with various people at McAfee today, I now understand the issue of why I can't get to wessex-tubas.com from my computer network. My router has the McAfee secure home platform installed in it and it is intercepting internet traffic and looking at a database it has for malicious site. When the wessex-tubas domain got put on the list because of an expired security security certificate apparently they reclassified it as a medium security risk. The information contained in the data base says there is spyware, adware, key loggers, blog and wiki there. Some of this is accurate. So even though the security certificate is now current, I'm still being blocked from going there. I've requested a review of the domain and a change to the information. It should take a week or so. With my current cable modem I apparently have no choice but to live with this situation.

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Stories like this are one reason I dumped by Comcast router and bought my own. In my case I chose an Eero:

https://www.amazon.com/eero-Home-WiF...dp/B0713ZCT4N/

It gives me more autonomy but is still really easy to use. It's a MESH system, which gives better whole-house coverage. Google makes a similar thing, but I don't like them knowing EVERYTHING I do! (They already know enough.)
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)
              Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
              YouTube: dwerden
              Facebook: davewerden
              Twitter: davewerden
              Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Himura
                • May 2017

Originally posted by RickF View Post

Interesting fact: Google's first video search result for "How to uninstall McAfee" is a video that starts with "And now, an message from John McAfee, Founder, McAfee Software" and ends with a laptop running McAfee AV being shot!

The video is actually rather amusing, in its own way. Definitely NSFW (and so I won't link to it), but that the founder of a company put out such an obvious hate video against his own software and then stars in it speaks volumes about that software, even if John McAfee is the textbook definition of "eccentric millionaire."

Definitely not surprised that McAfee is gumming up the works. It's what the company's products do best these days.
                Whatever you lose, you'll find it again. What you throw away, you'll never get back.

-- Kenshin Himura

1974 B & H Imperial / Bach 3G -- no LTE mouthpieces for me!

Comment

• pvflanigan
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Himura View Post
                  Interesting fact: Google's first video search result for "How to uninstall McAfee" is a video that starts with "And now, an message from John McAfee, Founder, McAfee Software" and ends with a laptop running McAfee AV being shot!

The video is actually rather amusing, in its own way. Definitely NSFW (and so I won't link to it), but that the founder of a company put out such an obvious hate video against his own software and then stars in it speaks volumes about that software, even if John McAfee is the textbook definition of "eccentric millionaire."

Definitely not surprised that McAfee is gumming up the works. It's what the company's products do best these days.
                  I just watched this video. It is hilarious. The only good news is that I got an email from today from McAfee that said they had reviewed my request about the wessex-tubas.com site and they have revised their assessment of the site from a medium threat to a mild threat. So I think that means that shortly my router should be able to let me get there again. I had no idea when I bought this router that I would have this much trouble with internet access. I've learned a lesson to avoid McAfee at all costs, which is fairly easy to do on a Mac, but less so on modem / routers and PCs.

Comment

Working...
                  X