Thread: Looking for euph instructor in southern NH that is strong on embouchure problems

Looking for euph instructor in southern NH that is strong on embouchure problems

Greetings,

My wife and I retired last year and we have relocated from Holden MA to Rochester NH. For the last year or so, I have struggled with various embouchure problems. Does anyone know of a good euph or low brass instructor in our area that is proficient at diagnosing and resolving embouchure issues?

Thanks.

JP

You might consider a Skype lesson with Doug Elliott. He specializes in things like this.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Excellent idea, Gary. How do people get so smart in North Carolina??? You can tell I have nothing better to do than bloviate.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 11-29-2018 at 05:31 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

4. JP,

Congratulations on the retirement! You should contact Dr. Danielle VanTuinen (https://www.daniellevantuinen.com/). She is the solo Eb tubist with the New England Brass Band and a Doctorate in Music Performance (euphonium) from Arizona State, having studied under Deanna Svoboda, Doug Yeo, Mark Cox, and Scott Hanson. Danielle is just awesome and I am certain she could help you. She currently lives in your town. Send me a PM and I will get you in contact with her. Or reach out to her through her web site. Feel free to mention that I recommended her.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    JP,

Congratulations on the retirement! You should contact Dr. Danielle VanTuinen (https://www.daniellevantuinen.com/). She is the solo Eb tubist with the New England Brass Band and a Doctorate in Music Performance (euphonium) from Arizona State, having studied under Deanna Svoboda, Doug Yeo, Mark Cox, and Scott Hanson. Danielle is just awesome and I am certain she could help you. She currently lives in your town. Send me a PM and I will get you in contact with her. Or reach out to her through her web site. Feel free to mention that I recommended her.

Doug
    Thanks for your replies. I had not considered a Skype lesson.

Doug, thanks very much! I would rather be face to face with an instructor if possible, and if Dr. VanTuinen lives in my town, that should be easily arranged! I'll reach out to her on her website and will let her know that you recommended her.

JP

In my case, whatever smartness there is must come from decades of living in the South after decades of growing up and living in the North. Though many might dispute the smartness call or replace it with something like smart*ss.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)