Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS: Besson New Standard 3-Valve Compensating - NICE!

No apology needed! ;-)
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

I got my horn, though there was a moment of extreme annoyance to find out there was a significant patch of the horn finish worn off near the bottom of the instrument that was NOT disclosed in the original auction and I can clearly see in every single picture they seem to have taken the picture in such a way that hid it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190211_110430.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	6648

Name:	52520493_1157467307747496_4095557895796555776_n.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	6649

So on top of already only paying $1495 for it, I'm going to ask them for a further discount still for non-disclosure and for me not to put a negative review, because I'm pretty annoyed.

But I'm turning a negative into a positive: I will one day have the horn refinished in full, and in the mean time I may come up with some... creative ways to cover it up as I'm known to do.

The horn plays well in the few moments I took to test it in my office (as not to upset anyone with my terrible euphonium skillz). It is a large shank and luckily I just happened to have a large-shank 6.5 ALL which is better than nothing. The springs are a bit noisey, I have mead springs at home that might work though, we'll see. It's definitely a bit of a curve from playing a little British Baritone. Still I'm surprised how light it is for the size of the instrument.

I shall take it to band practice this week to give it a full go

Just thought I would update everyone -- from posting to finished sale!

The case is in my opinion not designed for the instrument at all and it flops around in there, though I did see a 'buckle' system to hold it down. However it is graffitee all over the case about the high school program it was once a part of I guess. So I've already pulled the trigger on a brand new case, and this one can go straight in the bin.
    "Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl."
    "The end (of the world) will come, but love and music live forever."

Euph: Geneva Symphony (4v-comp, trig)
    Euph: Besson New Standard (3v-comp 1978)
    Bari: Wessex BR-140 (3v-comp, lacquer)
    Mpcs: Euph (SM4) Bari (Stork T1)

Thanks for the update. That spot is quite bizarre. It's a bit more well-defined that most worn-out plating areas usually are, and I sure don't see a sign of it in the original photos! The pic of the horn in the case should have shown this spot, as far as I can tell. It won't affect the playing, but I would certainly ask for the adjustment you mention. If it were on the back of the bow it would not show to anyone but you. Because it is on the front of the bow, it would be seen by the audience if you were to stand for a solo. (It's not too bad really, but it is still worth a complaint!)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

The case it came with is awful, it is spray-painted with initials on it and while it is physically still holding up it's what I would call "gross" more than anything. I don't know if this is the original case or not. It had broken pencils in it on arrival. There is a 'belt' inside that must be fastened around the horn, and if it isn't, the horn will bang around in the case. But the poor horn arrived without the belt attached, so it banged around in that case from Texas to Canada. Great... seller tried to blame it on how 'rough' UPS is. Yeah UPS did not unfasten that belt, I tried and it does NOT come apart due to metal teeth.

As for the mystery spot, it is very smooth and clearly a result of friction over time on something very specific, I just don't know what. Can't really find a point of contact for that far down on the horn in the case itself but no guarantees this was ever the original case.

The one thing I can say, the most important thing, is that it sounds really good. As for anything else like the splotch, well maybe one day I'll get the instrument refinished.
    Last edited by ametropia; 02-12-2019 at 06:02 PM.

There’s a product called “Medallion wipe-on silver” that Mark Finley reviewed over on TubeNet (Mark sometimes posts here on Dave’s forum). Took me awhile to find it. He shares some good pictures too. It’s not as good as original of course, but much cheaper than getting the horn replated. You need to redo it once in awhile.

Here’s the link:
    http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic....465911#p465911
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Wow thanks Rick, that would definitely tide me over until I could get the crook replated at some point. Thanks. I did some digging and there are lots of brands of these wipe-on silvers.

One thing I did as well was use a bit of ketchup (don't judge me) to take the brown out, so now instead of a big brown spot, it's a big gold spot. Doesn't sound like a big improvement but it is Plus I'd probably have had to take the tarnish off anyway to plate it with the rub-on stuff.

I'm in touch with an instrument technician near my place, he's contacting his plater to see what kind of options they can provide me for more fixes that won't involve replating the entire instrument at least for now.

Thanks for the suggestion Rick. Obviously not perfect, and definitely not long-term permanent I'm sure, but a happy immediate solution to bring down the glaring issue to just a dull roar.

Original Blotch (brown):

Name:	blotch1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	6683

Original Blotch de-tarnished (Gold):

Name:	blotch2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	6684

Blotch with Medallion Silver buffed in:

Name:	blotch3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	6685

Just another angle, Blotch Gold:

Name:	20190219_181717.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	6686

Blotch Silver!

Name:	20190225_171644.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	6687

And yes thankfully I bought a new case for it, the old one was miserable.

Nice!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

That looks good. Thanks for sharing some pics.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12