Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Is this for valves or what?

  1. Is this for valves or what?

    My 8th grade son just got a brand new Besson Sovereign 968 Euphonium. He had been playing on a non-compensating euphonium. When we got home tonight, my son saw this metal piece in silver (his instrument is lacquer). He discovered that it fits at the bottom of the valves, but why? What's the purpose?

    Does it come with dampers already installed or does he need to install the dampers that came in a baggie?

    Is a valve guard recommended? If so, which one(s)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8435.jpeg  
    Last edited by livingtx; 11-17-2018 at 11:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Hidden Valley, AZ
    Posts
    658
    That fits over the nipples on the bottom valve caps to catch drips and keep them off your clothes.

    Slip it over the nipples in the larger end of the slots, and push it sideways to lock it in place.

    Clean it out every so often.

    The dampers are spares.

    Dennis
    3 notes and the truth.

    1966 Besson 181 highly modified New Standard, early model Wick 4AL
    1918 Hawkes & Son euph 3&1 original
    1917 Conn C/D/Eb mellophone original
    1915 York Bb tenorhorn original, Bach 5GS

  3. #3
    Note: Empty the catcher before turning the horn upside down. For me, this equates to after each play session - since I avoid placing my euphonium bell down when it is not in its case. I made the mistake of forgetting to empty it once, and had to clean up a mess that trickled from the valves and onto the bell the next day. I haven’t had to do any cleaning on it yet, though I imagine getting a small flexible brush in there might be possible.
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Clayton M. View Post
    Note: Empty the catcher before turning the horn upside down. For me, this equates to after each play session - since I avoid placing my euphonium bell down when it is not in its case. I made the mistake of forgetting to empty it once, and had to clean up a mess that trickled from the valves and onto the bell the next day. I haven’t had to do any cleaning on it yet, though I imagine getting a small flexible brush in there might be possible.
    My son mentioned that with his non-compensating euphonium (Yamaha YEP-321S) he was told to keep the valves slightly loose to let the spit dry. Does he need to do the same thing with the Besson 968 (compensating) or is that the whole purpose of the catcher?

  5. #5
    Honestly, I don’t know. I am inclined to think that it doesn’t matter but I grew up a trumpet player, so what do I know? (Haha)
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    2,000
    Quote Originally Posted by livingtx View Post
    My son mentioned that with his non-compensating euphonium (Yamaha YEP-321S) he was told to keep the valves slightly loose to let the spit dry.
    Who in the world told him that?

    So the idea is to ensure a collection of "dried spit" in your valves? And you accomplish this by loosening the valves? If you don't want "spit" in your horn (and it's not spit, of course), then make sure you pull all the tuning slides and empty them after each use, take your pistons out and dry them, etc. I don't think there are a lot of us who do that.

    Also, in terms of putting the instrument on its bell, there is almost NEVER a need to do this, and it presents certain dangers. My euph is NEVER on its bell, and the tuba may be put on its bell only for a few seconds while I need both hands (but often, I'll just case it for a moment event then). Your mileage may vary.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (Denis Wick 3XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba, modified Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

  7. #7
    Considering investing in a Wessex euph stand (same as the K&M version), but it's 400 bucks, not sure if I should. Probably will though. After reading the old threads about the subject of putting the horn on its bell.

    That said, I am not sure keeping the valves loose will do any drying at all, unless you take them out and put them aside to dry. I do that to my valves and tuning slides every 2 weeks, just leave them overnight after a light rinse.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

    Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音, JP 274 MKII - 千歌
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL
    Thank you for the past 15 years -Yamaha EP100 - Euphy

    https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

  8. Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Who in the world told him that?

    So the idea is to ensure a collection of "dried spit" in your valves? And you accomplish this by loosening the valves? If you don't want "spit" in your horn (and it's not spit, of course), then make sure you pull all the tuning slides and empty them after each use, take your pistons out and dry them, etc. I don't think there are a lot of us who do that.

    Also, in terms of putting the instrument on its bell, there is almost NEVER a need to do this, and it presents certain dangers. My euph is NEVER on its bell, and the tuba may be put on its bell only for a few seconds while I need both hands (but often, I'll just case it for a moment event then). Your mileage may vary.
    I agree with this. I never put my horn on the bell even when it’s in the case. I’m not fond of moldy felt pads!
    Yamaha Neo 642TSII
    King 2280 (For Sale $1200)

  9. #9
    I highly recommend NOT putting the horn on its bell. As we play, some build up of "gunk" occurs in the bottom of each valve. When you put the horn on its bell it enables that gunk to run "down" into the piston area again. (Along those lines, you might remove the bottom caps now and then to clean then.)

    I use the Hercules stand in my practice area and it is very easy to use and rugged. Here is my review (complete with photos):

    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...uphonium-Stand

    With the Hercules stand it rests securely in a cradle.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hercules Stand.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	6420 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hercules Stand with Horn.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	715.7 KB 
ID:	6421

    Another popular stand here in the forum is the one below. In this kind the horn is inserted down between 2 upright supports. It is a little more "fussy" as you put the horn in and out, but it is nice and secure once in place. Here is one made by Nomad:

    https://www.amazon.com/Nomad-NIS-C07.../dp/B00TV8IF6S

    Nomad stand photo:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nomad Stand.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	6419
    Last edited by davewerden; 11-19-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams E3, Denis Wick 4AL (classic)
    Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
    Twitter: davewerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    YouTube: dwerden
    Owner of TubaEuph.com, DWerden.com

  10. #10
    I don’t have a lot of space in my living situation, and the hard case in which I keep my horn needs to stand on the bell side of the case. When I am actively practicing, I use the Hercules stand, but I like to keep it in the hard case otherwise. Hence the bell down orientation. I usually give it a chance to rest and accumulate condensation for a last clearing, before casing it up.
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •