Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LefreaQue Band sizes

So a French Hornist just told me he tested out the LeFreque and immediately noticed all his notes are centered, and a certain note he can never hit the right pitch is in tune now.

How... odd, I am still not really convinced though. I don't know. I've also noticed another Euph player who's using it that don't seem to tie it to the mouthpiece as per the instruction, the bridge doesn't touch the "bell" of the mouthpiece at all.

Maybe I will ask the French Horn player to let me play with one and see.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

For what it is worth I have noticed that Steven Mead who advertises them on his online store does not use them. Moreover the positive comments on their use on the euphonium on the notes of LefreQue are almost all by Besson Prestige/Sovreign players. I have no noticed any of the Adams players in this forum that uses them, indeed some of them who has tried had more negative effects than positive. I infer so that also depends on the instruments. I use them only on the Besson 2052 which, it seems, they have any positive effects on the sound. I have them and I use them, but I would not be sick.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

3. Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    For what it is worth I have noticed that Steven Mead who advertises them on his online store does not use them. Moreover the positive comments on their use on the euphonium on the notes of LefreQue are almost all by Besson Prestige/Sovreign players. I have no noticed any of the Adams players in this forum that uses them, indeed some of them who has tried had more negative effects than positive. I infer so that also depends on the instruments. I use them only on the Besson 2052 which, it seems, they have any positive effects on the sound. I have them and I use them, but I would not be sick.
    Hi Franz. Im not sure are you saying they have a positive effect on your 2052

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Hi Franz. Im not sure are you saying they have a positive effect on your 2052
    Yes, I have fixed them on my Prestige and I am 100x100 sure that the sound with them is better, with more projection,intonation and security on the attack of the notes. Not so, however, for the other instruments I play, a JP 373 baritone and a Bach 42G trombone. I repeat, on my euohonium I am convinced that they have a positive effect but, on other instruments with different interpreters, it may not be the same.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    I noticed that too Franz...interesting....
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

I maintain that any effect of anything added to the upper bow is simply due to the presence of additional mass at a point where the brass of the instrument is stretched thin on all euphoniums EXCEPT Adams. Adams has found a way to keep the thickness of the brass constant where it bends. Older generations of euph players often placed thick "golf tape" on the upper bow.

As to the mouthpiece where it inserts into the receiver, I can't think of any point at which a non-soldered metal-to-metal bond would be stronger, unless there is a poor fit of the mouthpiece into the receiver--in which case a repair to the receiver or the mouthpiece would provide a secure fit.

As always, color me skeptical...remember that little plastic collar that was supposed to be slipped into the fourth valve slide to open up the low register on tubas and euphoniums? What was it called? At least it cost only $20 or so.
    Last edited by Snorlax; 02-05-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

I was just watching some Misa Mead videos and I noticed that in several of them, she uses a LefreaQue plate on her receiver. For what ever that is worth....
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

It's been so long since I've tried a LeFreque plate, maybe I should try one again now I've improved and have a better understanding of my playing and my instruments. My previous observations were that it made slotting somewhat easier, but that it reduced tonal quality in the high register. But that was 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    As to the mouthpiece where it inserts into the receiver, I can't think of any point at which a non-soldered metal-to-metal bond would be stronger, unless there is a poor fit of the mouthpiece into the receiver--in which case a repair to the receiver or the mouthpiece would provide a secure fit.
    In fact, it can be so strong that you may need some mechanical advantage to break that bond. I've had some mildly embarrassing experiences with my Wick 3XL tuba mouthpiece in my Wessex Eb tuba where at the end of a rehearsal I couldn't extract it from the receiver until I got home and could manage to torque it out by using some rubber shelf liner material to get enough friction to turn it. So far as I can see, this happens if I manage to insert it while turning it a bit, and then the horn heats up and that joint seems to really "bond". Sometimes all it's taken is for the horn to cool down, and by the time I got home, the mouthpiece came out as usual. But in other situations, I've had to use the rubber friction aid to get it out.

... remember that little plastic collar that was supposed to be slipped into the fourth valve slide to open up the low register on tubas and euphoniums? What was it called? At least it cost only $20 or so.
    Somehow I missed this. Maybe it was during the 10 years when I'd stopped playing? Please try to retrieve the name of this item from your aging and overloaded memory. I'm very curious about it -- particularly because, on the face of it, it seems completely insane.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Gary, it is the ACOUSTICOIL: http://backintheusa.us/company.php?c...AIIRRAcoustics ...and it's still being sold!

The link goes to another site that supposedly sells the device, but I didn't see it after a quick scan.
    Last edited by Snorlax; 02-08-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast