X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghmerrill
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Fishlips View Post
    Magic Tone Beans are best used if kept in one's pocket or nearby in a Bag of Holding. However, despite this recommendation, reports from my vast customer base indicate that "the more you eat, the more you toot." Individual results vary and no empirical data is available.
    The best practice concerning any sort of magic beans is definitely NOT to ingest them. I cite "Jack and the Beanstalk" and the copious related literature. Concerning empirical data, we in fact have almost 300 years of such reports, though primarily in the context of giant-related activity which makes it difficult to repeat today (owing to various regulatory constraints and concerns about cultural appropriation).
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• ghmerrill
      • Dec 2011

Has anyone tested the LeFreque plates using audio spectrum analysis or other empirical measures? Have there been any blind or double-blind studies? It seems these might help remove the subjective nature and speculation involved in evaluating a product that may or may not have an impact on the vibration of the air column in the horn.
      That surely would take all the fun out of it.
      Gary Merrill
      Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)

Comment

• mbrooke
        • Jan 2006

Has anyone tested the LeFreque plates using audio spectrum analysis or other empirical measures? Have there been any blind or double-blind studies? It seems these might help remove the subjective nature and speculation involved in evaluating a product that may or may not have an impact on the vibration of the air column in the horn.

I tend to suspect that the placebo effect is in play, but I can't prove it. In the meantime, I will continue to rely on long tones, as well as a pocket-full of Magic Tone Beans, which I hope to soon bring to market!
        I measured both with and without the plates. There is consistently more NRG in some of the higher frequencies wit the plates. I have no idea how this relates to the perceived changes in sound. I have several people listen both with and without, and they all thought that the I sounded louder and had more "presence" of sound with the plates. I think Rick found something similar. I found that the plates seem to have more effect with brass mouthpieces than with stainless. Maybe the brass rolls off some of the higher frequencies and the plates allow it to pass to the horn? While these things seem like a marketing gimmick, they seem to do something. I remember reading in an article that the great french horn player Dennis Brain would wedge a piece of a matchstick across the opening of his main tuning slide. Also, our conductor is a bassoonist and she takes lessons from a well-known both bassoonist in the D.C. area. They both use the same model $30,000 bassoon. My conductor tried the plates and thought they didn't do anything, but her teach loves them.

Mike

Mike

Comment

• ghmerrill
          • Dec 2011

I can't even.
          Gary Merrill

Comment

• Euphearted
            • Sep 2012

For the same principle applied to a different instrument and whatever insights can be gleaned from it, Google "fender dead spot" and fatfinger.
            Harry Nuttall

Bach Stradivarius New York model 8II tenor trombone #28xx
            Besson New Standard #438xxx
            Besson "Prototype" euphonium #510xx
            Conn 30I Wonderphone double-belled euphonium #327xxx
            Hawkes & Son Excelsior Sonorous #534xx
            Holton Revelation euphonium #753xx
            Holton Revelation euphonium #797xx

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
              • Jun 2018

So a French Hornist just told me he tested out the LeFreque and immediately noticed all his notes are centered, and a certain note he can never hit the right pitch is in tune now.

How... odd, I am still not really convinced though. I don't know. I've also noticed another Euph player who's using it that don't seem to tie it to the mouthpiece as per the instruction, the bridge doesn't touch the "bell" of the mouthpiece at all.

Maybe I will ask the French Horn player to let me play with one and see.
              "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
              Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
              https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• franz
                • Dec 2015

For what it is worth I have noticed that Steven Mead who advertises them on his online store does not use them. Moreover the positive comments on their use on the euphonium on the notes of LefreQue are almost all by Besson Prestige/Sovreign players. I have no noticed any of the Adams players in this forum that uses them, indeed some of them who has tried had more negative effects than positive. I infer so that also depends on the instruments. I use them only on the Besson 2052 which, it seems, they have any positive effects on the sound. I have them and I use them, but I would not be sick.
                2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• graeme
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by franz View Post
                  For what it is worth I have noticed that Steven Mead who advertises them on his online store does not use them. Moreover the positive comments on their use on the euphonium on the notes of LefreQue are almost all by Besson Prestige/Sovreign players. I have no noticed any of the Adams players in this forum that uses them, indeed some of them who has tried had more negative effects than positive. I infer so that also depends on the instruments. I use them only on the Besson 2052 which, it seems, they have any positive effects on the sound. I have them and I use them, but I would not be sick.
                  Hi Franz. Im not sure are you saying they have a positive effect on your 2052

Comment

• franz
                    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by graeme View Post
                    Hi Franz. Im not sure are you saying they have a positive effect on your 2052
                    Yes, I have fixed them on my Prestige and I am 100x100 sure that the sound with them is better, with more projection,intonation and security on the attack of the notes. Not so, however, for the other instruments I play, a JP 373 baritone and a Bach 42G trombone. I repeat, on my euohonium I am convinced that they have a positive effect but, on other instruments with different interpreters, it may not be the same.
                    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• tonewheeler
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by franz View Post
                      I noticed that too Franz...interesting....
                      Euphs:
                      Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
                      Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
                      Yamaha 201 Baritone
                      Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
                      Groups:
                      The San Diego Concert Band

Comment

• Snorlax
                        • Mar 2007

I maintain that any effect of anything added to the upper bow is simply due to the presence of additional mass at a point where the brass of the instrument is stretched thin on all euphoniums EXCEPT Adams. Adams has found a way to keep the thickness of the brass constant where it bends. Older generations of euph players often placed thick "golf tape" on the upper bow.

As to the mouthpiece where it inserts into the receiver, I can't think of any point at which a non-soldered metal-to-metal bond would be stronger, unless there is a poor fit of the mouthpiece into the receiver--in which case a repair to the receiver or the mouthpiece would provide a secure fit.

As always, color me skeptical...remember that little plastic collar that was supposed to be slipped into the fourth valve slide to open up the low register on tubas and euphoniums? What was it called? At least it cost only $20 or so.
                        Last edited by Snorlax; 02-05-2019, 07:58 PM.
                        Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
                        Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
                        bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
                        Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
                        Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
                        Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
                        www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• Sara Hood
                          • Mar 2017

I was just watching some Misa Mead videos and I noticed that in several of them, she uses a LefreaQue plate on her receiver. For what ever that is worth....
                          - Sara
                          Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Comment

• TheJH
                            • Dec 2014

It's been so long since I've tried a LeFreque plate, maybe I should try one again now I've improved and have a better understanding of my playing and my instruments. My previous observations were that it made slotting somewhat easier, but that it reduced tonal quality in the high register. But that was 4 years ago.
                            Euphoniums
                            2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
                            1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
                            Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
                            Baritone
                            1975 Besson New Standard
                            Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Comment

• ghmerrill
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Snorlax View Post
                              As to the mouthpiece where it inserts into the receiver, I can't think of any point at which a non-soldered metal-to-metal bond would be stronger, unless there is a poor fit of the mouthpiece into the receiver--in which case a repair to the receiver or the mouthpiece would provide a secure fit.
                              In fact, it can be so strong that you may need some mechanical advantage to break that bond. I've had some mildly embarrassing experiences with my Wick 3XL tuba mouthpiece in my Wessex Eb tuba where at the end of a rehearsal I couldn't extract it from the receiver until I got home and could manage to torque it out by using some rubber shelf liner material to get enough friction to turn it. So far as I can see, this happens if I manage to insert it while turning it a bit, and then the horn heats up and that joint seems to really "bond". Sometimes all it's taken is for the horn to cool down, and by the time I got home, the mouthpiece came out as usual. But in other situations, I've had to use the rubber friction aid to get it out.

... remember that little plastic collar that was supposed to be slipped into the fourth valve slide to open up the low register on tubas and euphoniums? What was it called? At least it cost only $20 or so.
                              Somehow I missed this. Maybe it was during the 10 years when I'd stopped playing? Please try to retrieve the name of this item from your aging and overloaded memory. I'm very curious about it -- particularly because, on the face of it, it seems completely insane.
                              Gary Merrill

Comment

• Snorlax
                                • Mar 2007

Gary, it is the ACOUSTICOIL: http://backintheusa.us/company.php?c...AIIRRAcoustics ...and it's still being sold!

The link goes to another site that supposedly sells the device, but I didn't see it after a quick scan.
                                Last edited by Snorlax; 02-08-2019, 12:56 PM.
                                Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
                                Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
                                bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
                                Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
                                Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
                                Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
                                www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

Working...
                                X