Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Denis Wick SM ULTRA4 XR

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    I will say that I felt it lacked the core sound I’m accustomed to and dare I say it sounded more trombone like than I’m comfortable with, at least in the player’s position.
    And that neatly sums my issues with SM range, be it classic, Ultra, Ultra X, and no doubt Ultra XR. I wonder if he’s thought about putting the word “tron” on the end? Or excelsior. That’d be good.
    1983 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
    Denis Wick SM4 (original series)

My experience with the SM4XR

I bought a Sovereign 967T five weeks ago, converting after 36 years playing a Willson 2900 with a Schilke 51D. Since I have become primarily a bass trombone player, I have found I need a trigger for intonation or I tire too quickly from lipping pitches (after becoming accustomed to blowing the true pitch on the bass trombone.) I also have played very little euphonium over the past 16 years.

With that as a background, I began searching for new mouthpieces, settling on the Mead SM4X so far; though the Mead 3 and 3.5 sure feel good and sound great in the low register, I have little endurance or accuracy in the highest register.

My experience with the SM4XR is that it certainly aids the high register and endurance but suffers in tone and flexibility in the low register. So far, I haven't really worked with it a lot as if it were my main mouthpiece.

I suspect I will switch in and out of the SM4XR when playing extended high range music -- which as you know, is more and more often in all the great new literature that is being written. (Hey, if I had wanted to play French horn, I would have bought one and done that!) For now, the SM4X is my weapon of choice. I'll know better as I get into September and can begin devoting a couple of hours a day to euphonium.

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    With K&G mouthpieces I found what I was looking for. I have already moved from Schilke, SM, SMU, SMX and I'm not intrigued to try anything else.
    This weekend I attended a masterclass with Steven Mead; he has play with a new mouthpiece, completely different from the previous ones, which will be on sale soon. It has an external V-shape reminiscent of the first series, but with much more mass around the rim. It seems to me that he said it will be called "MITHOS", or something like that. I put a blurred photo, just to give an idea of the shape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191201_184118.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	7303
    Last edited by franz; 12-01-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    This weekend I attended a masterclass with Steven Mead; he has play with a new mouthpiece, completely different from the previous ones, which will be on sale soon. It has an external V-shape reminiscent of the first series, but with much more mass around the rim. It seems to me that he said it will be called "MITHOS", or something like that. I put a blurred photo, just to give an idea of the shape.
    That's exciting news to me! I have come to believe that part of what I like about my classic 4AL is the shape of the body. Perhaps the lesser mass in the cup and throat area allow it to have the open, singing sound that I have yet to find in any other mouthpiece with "fatter" bodies (i.e. most of them on the market). I'll keep an eye open! (Steve advises that it will be several months before any real news/availability.)

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

That is interesting!

Of additional note, there is a new SM3XR that is apparently similar to the 4XR.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    That's exciting news to me! I have come to believe that part of what I like about my classic 4AL is the shape of the body. Perhaps the lesser mass in the cup and throat area allow it to have the open, singing sound that I have yet to find in any other mouthpiece with "fatter" bodies (i.e. most of them on the market). I'll keep an eye open! (Steve advises that it will be several months before any real news/availability.)

Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

I find that a new mouthpiece solves all my playing issues for six months, that’s why I buy a new one every five!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345