Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Denis Wick SM ULTRA4 XR

I agree about the "mpc lending library". It would be a great way to try out various mouthpieces without having to invest a lot of money doing so in an effort to find the one that works best for you.

If I could figure out a way to make it work without being worried people would keep them without returning them, I’d do it.
    Last edited by miketeachesclass; 11-29-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Maybe require a deposit that they get back when they return the mouthpiece(s). Or the pink slip to their car.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Maybe the pink slip to their horn...
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Depending on which horn of mine we're talking about, that might be a great deal...

Dennis

All, a discussion on MP lending library is fascinating but.... It is cocooing inside the nest of this lovely and narrowly defined thread on the Wick SM4XR MP.... How about giving the cocoo its own fine nest... Perhaps Dave Werden can migrate MP Library posts to their own dedicated thread... Besides refocusing this thread to its original topic, it would give the MP Library idea so much more visibility.

Regards, G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Yeah, I digress a little too often.

That said, I did take some photos of the SM4XR in comparison to other pieces, and I have a number of thoughts on how it plays. I’ll try to post those after a concert today.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    All, a discussion on MP lending library is fascinating but.... It is cocooing inside the nest of this lovely and narrowly defined thread on the Wick SM4XR MP.... How about giving the cocoo its own fine nest... Perhaps Dave Werden can migrate MP Library posts to their own dedicated thread... Besides refocusing this thread to its original topic, it would give the MP Library idea so much more visibility.

Regards, G.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Hello Mike, I am looking forward to read your thoughts about SM4XR post your use of it in the concert yesterday! G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Ok, so I played on this piece for a while.

First, while it carries the SM4 name, it feels SUBSTANTIALLY smaller than any of the other SM4s to me. (Standard, U, and X). In fact, it could have carried a totally different product line designation, and I would believe it.

The rim is rounder on the outer edge, which makes endurance a little easier. I was a little surprised how mich this made a difference, as I would have assumed previously that’s the inner rim contour would make a bigger difference.

In terms of sound, I just couldn’t make it sound the way I want to sound. I felt it lacked a firm core, and possibly had a little more balanced toward upper harmonics, and it was just brighter than I like. That being said, it may work for you if you play a dark horn and want to push out in front of a band.

I’m glad I tried it, but I wouldn’t replace it if I lost it.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

SM3 Denis Wick

Eyyyy
    I have the SM3 and I love the sound, but It stays low pitch (Sorry i'm spanish, i no control english, the expression un spanish IS "se queda bajo de afinación)
    What can be a good solution?
    I play a Yamaha 642

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast