X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • highpitch
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    Seems like this may be more similar to the Alliance DC3 than the previous SM4X.
    The DC3 didn't do it for me.

DG

Comment

• JTJ
      • Nov 2005

"Perhaps it doesnt have the weight of sound in the lower register of the regular U4X..."

Perhaps it doesn't work well for all around use....

Comment

• miketeachesclass
        • Feb 2016

I really like the rim contour and cup on the DC3, but feel the throat is small. Maybe this will be my solution. I’ll let you all know how it goes when it arrives.

Or, maybe it’ll be one more in the “sell” pile.

Originally posted by highpitch View Post
        The DC3 didn't do it for me.

DG
        Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
        Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• graeme
          • Jun 2009

Hi Guys. Anyone tried a SM4XR mouthpiece yet ?

Comment

• Clayton M.
            • Aug 2018

I have not. I just went on (as someone else here put it) mouthpiece safari, and settled upon one I like. I don’t anticipate looking for another mouthpiece anytime soon. I now have some (four) spare mouthpieces from which I, or either of my two sons, can select as needed. The Ultra SM4X is among those that didn’t make my cut.
            Clayton M.
            Musician for Fun
            Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
            Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Comment

• franz
              • Dec 2015

With K&G mouthpieces I found what I was looking for. I have already moved from Schilke, SM, SMU, SMX and I'm not intrigued to try anything else.
              2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                • Feb 2016

I ordered one a couple of weeks ago- Steve mead let me know he was shipping it two weeks ago today, so it should arrive any day. I’ll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Originally posted by graeme View Post
                Hi Guys. Anyone tried a SM4XR mouthpiece yet ?
                Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• pvflanigan
                  • Oct 2006

I used to go on the mouthpiece safaris as you call it. It tended to get expensive after a while. Then I talked with Doug Elliot. While his mouth pieces aren't exactly cheap they come with a lot of advantages. They are three piece mouthpieces, consisting of an interchangeable shank, bowl and rim. He watches you play and recommend an initial setup. I like it because I can use the same mouthpiece for all my instruments no matter what shank size needed. I just need to connect the correct the right shank. I also have two rims: one normal and a lexan for playing in cold environments. This cuts down a lot on the number of mouthpieces I need. An having someone evaluate my playing and recommend the correct system for me was invaluable.

Comment

• graeme
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by miketeachesclass View Post
                    I ordered one a couple of weeks ago- Steve mead let me know he was shipping it two weeks ago today, so it should arrive any day. I’ll let you know what I think when it arrives.
                    Thanks Mike, I was interested to learn that it was only the outer rim that has been made more rounded but I am curious how you may notice any effect from the shallower cup

Comment

• DutchEupho
                      • Apr 2006

Since i made the change to a Warburton Demondrae my mouthpiece safari has ended. Will try an SM4XR when I'm with Adams next time, doubt that it will outperform the Demondrae for me.
                      Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
                      Trombone: Benge 175F

Comment

• djwpe
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by DutchEupho View Post
                        Since i made the change to a Warburton Demondrae my mouthpiece safari has ended. Will try an SM4XR when I'm with Adams next time, doubt that it will outperform the Demondrae for me.
                        As near as I can tell, the SMXR rim is like the Demondrae rim.

Comment

• JakeGuilbo
                          • Feb 2006

I'm with Franz - the K&G 3.5D is nearly as close to a Wick 4AL/SM4UX someone has gotten with a wider rim, at least among mouthpieces I've tried. I think I've said this before but it affords approx 90% of the Wick singing quality with 200% more endurance.
                          Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
                          K&G 3.5D
                          ---------------------------------
                          Founder and Solo Euphonium
                          San Francisco Brass Band

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                            • Feb 2016

I got the ultra 4XR on Monday and have had a little time to play on it.

It is decidedly NOT like the demondrae, in feel or sound - I’ll post some photos of the rim profile side by side tomorrow.

First impressions are that it feels much smaller than the Sm4x, and it sounds considerably smaller as well. I’ve only had time to play with it in a small room so far so I’m reserving judgement. I will say that I felt it lacked the core sound I’m accustomed to and dare I say it sounded more trombone like than I’m comfortable with, at least in the player’s position.

Again, this is with very little time and in a small room. I’ll have a trusted pair of ears listen and help me evaluate as well as make some recordings.

Goodnight!

Originally posted by djwpe View Post
                            As near as I can tell, the SMXR rim is like the Demondrae rim.
                            Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                            Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                              • Feb 2016

This is a very interesting assessment. I would like to try one.

I swear I’m going to start a mouthpiece lending library with all the pieces I’ve got/tried.

Originally posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
                              I'm with Franz - the K&G 3.5D is nearly as close to a Wick 4AL/SM4UX someone has gotten with a wider rim, at least among mouthpieces I've tried. I think I've said this before but it affords approx 90% of the Wick singing quality with 200% more endurance.
                              Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                              Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• RickF
                                • Jan 2006

A “mpc lending library”. Sounds like a neat idea.
                                Rick Floyd
                                Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                                Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                                The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                                Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

Working...
                                X