Thread: ok gurus a little help

ok gurus a little help

I purchased a few horns. One is an old lafayette made in paris, no date, it does not follow the standard baritone piping the lettering is all done by hand tooling there is no pineapple with a date code to be found. It needs surgery, it will get it. Any idea on age?? it is a little smaller than a standard baritone but it will run Bb scales all day long. also 2nd valve marked GIII that too is hand etched. and yes I am still working on that bach mercedes, it is coming along as I am trying to use common tools I have to repair it, not spend a million on a bunch of repair tools. lot of trial and error, I'll get it.............thanks red

Without pictures, it never happened...

Dennis

I thought there might be some possibility that the "GIII" might be a pitch indication (G-3), but that's not consistent with it playing Bb scales all day long. Might be just a model number.
    Last edited by ghmerrill; 10-24-2018 at 06:41 AM.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Have some great pics, can't figure out how to add them, they are JPG help!! yours red

Quote Originally Posted by red423 View Post
    Have some great pics, can't figure out how to add them, they are JPG help!! yours red
    Red, please see this FAQ:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/faq.php...b3_attachments
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181024_090514.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	6377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500 (1).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	6378 Hoping this goes through. If you need more info let me know, here's a couple pics. yours red

I had to use a lead pencil shading to raise the Lafayette Cousenom Paris etching. If you guys have an idea exactly what it is and maybe a year made I would be grateful. To just see this horn and know it was handmade, (yes you can spot a few errors) makes it remarkable IMHO. as I said it plays great,came with a Bach7c mouthpiece, those babies in good condition cost more than what i gave for the horn...............yours red PS Thanks Dave, again!! Your link helped. Been a long day and that link fixed my issue right away. Thanks R

Hi Red,

Give Charlie's site a peek...there are several like yours with some info.

http://www.euphoniumcollective.co.uk/Gallery.htm#TOP

Dennis

Thanks HP that helped a lot, Now I would like to find out more info as to possible year made, those GIII marks. It will mean the difference of me playing with this or sending it out for, not a total rebuild, just repair, cleaning, adjustment and cosmetic touches by a professional. Our daughter, if you have a minute started playing a Bb bartione three months ago. She is in 9th grade, she has already moved up to second chair. This is with a well used beat up marching baritone they loaned to her. I played concert level Bb treble baritone years ago and can still hold a note or two on an old gretsch family trumpet, so this caught me completely by surprise. I grabbed a couple baritones off flea bay so she always has a practice horn, as well as studio horns. ( I am pushing her to join concert band)But and here's where my story gets corny. When I bought the horn made in france, it was unknown maker or model, when I got it out of the box, my mouth dropped open and my heart started to beat a thousand times an hour. Ever see that one horn, that magic horn that you just knew in your hands or a loved ones hands it was "THE ONE" ?? Oh I have a much newer nicer Cavalier in a case right below that euphonium from france, but I can still hear those notes I blew when I took that euphonium out of the box. remarkable...........anyway enough of my ranting............if anyone can assist or direct me to a historical archive over these Lafayette horns I'm all yours..........................red