X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeS
    • Apr 2012

Vaughn Williams- Mystery Baritone Cues

One of my bands just passed out the Vaughn Williams "Folk Song Suite" for Military Band. My part is labelled Bb Euphonium (Baritone). In the 8th and 16th measures of the first movement I have cues, marked "Barit." Our music folder contains no Baritone parts and the conductors score, which looks like this,

https://en.musicainfo.net/demonoten/9214370b.gif

also shows none. Does anyone know if there was an arrangement that had a separate Baritone part?
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Like the Host First Suite, apparently Folk Song Suite was also written with a British baritone part. Publishers later split the part out among the standard concert band instrumentation. I know Dr. Jerry Young is chasing it down, but he has not yet found the original set.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• daruby
      • Apr 2006

Play the cues. They are from the brass band version of the same thing and are intended for English baritone. The part you have is really the euphonium part (despite what it says). There is no English baritone part in the wind band printing.
      Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
      Concord Band
      Winchendon Winds
      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Clayton M.
        • Aug 2018

I noticed that in the Holst First Suite. I just played the cues once I realized no one else was playing the part. Conductor didn’t complain, so it was all good. Hehe.
        Clayton M.
        Musician for Fun
        Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
        Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Comment

Working...
        X