Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Former or current NEO players--what mouthpiece?

I am currently using an SM4 with mine. Seems to work okay.

I use either a 51D or an SM3U on my Neo. Great horn! I used this same mouthpiece combination on my older model 642 as well.

Arul

Thanks, everyone...I'm sticking to the Elliott setup for now.
    I have a Giddings EXL that I want to swap for a Helseth solo
    Jim
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

4. Hi Snorlax,
    I'm new to the forum but have been reading the posts for quiet a while and think its a great website.
    Regarding your mouthpiece question, I play a Neo euph now for the past 3 years having previously played a Besson 2052. Tried a SM4U, 4AL, and a DC3. The DC3 is what I decided on and think this is a great match for the Neo. Now I'm only an amateur player but for me anyway this mouthpiece gives the best sound.The mouthpiece that ships with the instrument is best avoided I think, too small. The DC3 sound is nice and dark, maybe requires more work but definitely better sounding.

5. How significant is the difference between the 4AL and, say, DC3 or SM4U? I don't have a large collection of mouthpieces to compare with, only the 4AL and the Yamaha MP the Neo came with.
    Yamaha Neo 642TSII
    Denis Wick SM4 Ultra X

6. I'm not really good at articulating these things but will try. The mouthpiece the instrument came with is really easy to play but very small. The sound seems really bright and thin to me. The DC3 is a heavy mouthpiece and seems to get a deeper, darker, fuller sound from the instrument. The SM4U is good but the sound is brighter, although easier to play than the DC3. I do find that mouthpiece choice on the Neo seems to make a big difference to the sound, being much more sensitive to choice than the Besson was.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12