Thread: Arban’s etc.

Arban’s etc.

As a long time trumpet player, I have my copies of Arban’s and Clarke’s etc., and I have been playing through them on euphonium. A recent post, made me think about looking over a Rochut book. I had always thought the various instrument versions of Arban’s were direct transporting of the same thing. Is that not the case? The Melodious Etudes for Trombone seems to differ from the Trumpet version as indicated by the author.

Am I missing out on valuable oppounitues for improvement by using the trumpet books?
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

I have both treble and bass clef of the Arbans and there is no substantial difference. My BC Arban is the one edited by Brian Bowman and has some tips the old one didn't have. Nothing you can't live without. It IS spiral bound, which is nice.

The older BC versions of Arbans often had many mistakes and omissions.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I suppose I could just get both TC and BC versions of the Melodious Etudes and find out for everyone! Hehe. I’m pleased to hear that the Arban’s will not have been changed significantly.
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton M. View Post
    As a long time trumpet player, I have my copies of Arban’s and Clarke’s etc., and I have been playing through them on euphonium. A recent post, made me think about looking over a Rochut book. I had always thought the various instrument versions of Arban’s were direct transporting of the same thing. Is that not the case? The Melodious Etudes for Trombone seems to differ from the Trumpet version as indicated by the author.

Am I missing out on valuable opportunities for improvement by using the trumpet books?
    Not as often mentioned is the St. Jacome method for trumpet. Also a compendium as big as Arban's, but different exercises, lyric excerpts and nice solos. I'd save money on a duplicate copy of Rochut/Bordogni. Perhaps BC more complete with 3 books, but maybe too much of a good thing. BC version of Arban's etc. do not differ enough to duplicate.

Trumpet and cornet lit is super for euph...and...

Want to expand your euphonium playing, select Bassoon (mainly bass clef and tenor clef, pedal Bb to double g-ish), Cello (bass and tenor clef, sometimes C treble clef) gap CC to double c) and even Clarinet solos (same old Bb treble clef, about gap D to double b. As my mentor said, 'Nothing so high you can't take it down an octave or two if necessary!' They are just written for differently, and express a wider range than you might usually see, and don't treat what would be a gap/pedal range as anything special. Some duets for Bassoon work well if your pal is an F or Eb tuba. Cello duets also fun! And try Bach Cello suites as written, not modified for brass, or up a 5th like tenor clef. Some great tuba books like Walter Sear etudes are tough on Euph, and for me are in an F tuba range, so I play on Bass Trombone, but would really work gap and pedal range for euph and get the most out of your compensating system.

Funny you should mention the Rose etudes. I have used them myself (my wife was a clarinet player in the band), but some of the settings were not terribly practical for euphonium. I re-set several of them in a book for euphonium specifically. The still cover the whole range of the instrument and still will present you with challenging technique.

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/searc...m&aff_id=15680
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium