Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to get?

1. What to get?

Ive been playing euphonium for about 10 years now , and was majoring in euphonium performance until I had to leave due to financial issues.
    I plan on going back to study performance again in about 2-3 years time , so Im looking to get a budget euphonium to use until then. I generally practice 2-3 hours a day and try to flesh out as much as I can out of my practice time , so I don’t want to get a horn thats gonna have too many tuning issues.

Once Im back in school I plan on purchasing an Adams E2 Custom , which Ive had my heart set on it since I played it a little over a year ago . I loved the response and the soaring high register it had .

Is there anything similar to the E2 in terms of playability and response thats around 1000-3000 ?
    I’ve been looking into the Wessex and even the Besson New standard 165.
    Personally though, if the New standard is anything like it’s professional counterpart (2052) I wouldn’t like it too much because it didn’t have that warm sound that I got on the E2 or the Wilson 2900S.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Euph6052; 09-26-2018 at 07:03 AM.

2. Well,

the Wessex and even the Besson New standard 165 cannot be compared with the Adams which is a professionnal version.
    How can you dare such a comparison ?

I suggest to compare Adams E2 with top instruments as Adams builds top instruments :
    Besson Prestige BE2051 / 2052
    Geneva Oldroyd Cardinal or Glenn Van Looy
    Miraphone M5050 ...
    Yamaha YEP-842S

There are other brands like York, Willson that matches Adams products.

If you mean you can afford between 1000-3000 $ so you may try buying used euphoniums instead of bad new ones.
    Last edited by RobBartom; 09-26-2018 at 01:54 PM.

I haven't played a Wessex Dolce but most comments are very favorable. John Morgan here has an Adams E3 and a Dolce and speaks well of the Dolce. Remember the OP is looking for an economically priced horn until he's ready for a professional (also expensive) horn. If it was me, I'd get a Dolce and probably would be very satisfied. It's not as you say a "bad" horn.

There is no good horn in that price range that will feel much like an Adams, but the Wessex is a very nice horn and blows well. I'd go that route, which is going to save you about $1500 from your max.

In the meantime I suggest you try to play on an Adams E3 to see what it feels like. It's my favorite, but the E1, E2, and E3 each have their own charm.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    I haven't played a Wessex Dolce but most comments are very favorable. John Morgan here has an Adams E3 and a Dolce and speaks well of the Dolce. Remember the OP is looking for an economically priced horn until he's ready for a professional (also expensive) horn. If it was me, I'd get a Dolce and probably would be very satisfied. It's not as you say a "bad" horn.
    Agree. My Wessex is a great playing, 4-valve, compensating euphonium. I really like it. I have no hesitation at all in using it when I worry about my Adams getting bumped into in close quarters (like in a couple of the retirement homes one of the bands I play in play at - we are really squeezed in there). And I usually always play a solo with the band (like Carnival of Venice, Devil's Tongue, Napoli, Believe Me With All Those Endearing Young Charms, etc.). I have no problem playing these pieces and the horn sounds very good. I use the same mouthpiece on either horn and can pick up either one and play immediately with confidence.

You can't beat a Wessex for about $1250 in lacquer (which I have).
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Agree. My Wessex is a great playing, 4-valve, compensating euphonium. I really like it. I have no hesitation at all in using it when I worry about my Adams getting bumped into in close quarters (like in a couple of the retirement homes one of the bands I play in play at - we are really squeezed in there). And I usually always play a solo with the band (like Carnival of Venice, Devil's Tongue, Napoli, Believe Me With All Those Endearing Young Charms, etc.). I have no problem playing these pieces and the horn sounds very good. I use the same mouthpiece on either horn and can pick up either one and play immediately with confidence.

You can't beat a Wessex for about $1250 in lacquer (which I have).
    Hi John, I've read a few people saying how the Wessex Dolce is a dent magnet and how it easily dent from even a slight bump. Has that been the case for you? How has the lacquer held up for you so far? I can't remember exactly, but you have had this horn for around 2 years now, is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    Hi John, I've read a few people saying how the Wessex Dolce is a dent magnet and how it easily dent from even a slight bump. Has that been the case for you? How has the lacquer held up for you so far? I can't remember exactly, but you have had this horn for around 2 years now, is that correct?
    Christiane, I have had the Wessex for almost three years (got it Dec 2015). It has held up very well. Now, it is true that I don't use it much now. I used it exclusively for about 6 months when I got it. I am probably not a good person to ask about dents because I am one of those people who is picky, careful and persnickety beyond belief when it comes to taking care of any of my horns. I don't have any dents on the Wessex because of this. I haven't dented it by any of my handling of it either. I have noticed a little bit of scratching where my left hand reaches around the horn, on the 3rd valve slide, perhaps from my watch or my clothing. This looks like just a little bit of lacquer scratching. It is small and very isolated. I suspect the lacquering could be better (thicker?), and perhaps this has improved over time. Other than that, the horn looks brand new. Plays great. I just played it a couple weeks ago. Put a little oil on the valves, and off we went. Horn never fails to impress me.

Knowing what I know now, I would unequivocally buy a Wessex again over ANY horn if I needed a horn for several months to a year because my Adams was not available.

Oh, almost forgot. Jonathan, owner of Wessex, has had the bells of the Wessex euphonium (and others) "hardened" I think since I bought my horn. So there are efforts to make the Wessex more durable, but I have had no problems with mine at all.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 09-27-2018 at 12:14 AM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

8. Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    I have had the Wessex for almost three years (got it Dec 2015).
    Wow time flies. I remember reading your review for the first time because it is ultimately what convinced me to pull the trigger on getting a Dolce.

Anywho, the Dolce isn't really a dent magnet. I got mine knowing that it would not graduate high school with me dent-free. As of now, there are three small pings in the horn, one of which has a fairly nasty scratch attached to it. However, all of these accidents did have a fair amount of force behind them. For the price, you really can't complain about its durability.
    T.J. Davis

Wessex Dolce
    G&W Kadja

Quote Originally Posted by daviste View Post
    Wow time flies. I remember reading your review for the first time because it is ultimately what convinced me to pull the trigger on getting a Dolce.

Anywho, the Dolce isn't really a dent magnet. I got mine knowing that it would not graduate high school with me dent-free. As of now, there are three small pings in the horn, one of which has a fairly nasty scratch attached to it. However, all of these accidents did have a fair amount of force behind them. For the price, you really can't complain about its durability.
    Glad the review helped. And your posting is a testimonial to the Wessex's durability for surviving high school in fairly good condition!
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Thank you both for the inputs! Good to know the Dolce is still serving you well. Guess that settles it, going to try and save up enough for a Wessex Dolce. Hopefully the price will stay the same next year. Takes ages to save up enough with a weak currency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast