Thread: Cannon shot for 1812 Overture

Cannon shot for 1812 Overture

Our band is playing 1812 Overture (Tchaikovsky) at our first concert this season. I've been tasked with finding a way to get a recording of cannon fire so a person in the sound booth can press a button to play a 2 or 3 second 'boom' when our MD gives a cue. I've found some recordings but can't figure out how to make it easy for the 'non-musical' folks in the sound booth to do this. Maybe an mp3 file or wave file? Usually these auto repeat. I'd like it to play and stop but be ready to play again when button pushed. Any suggestions?

Link to sounds I've stored:
    https://app.box.com/s/agjhjzu7sk9qhwz4a272pqe5kzg0s12m
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I'd use a hardware MPC ideally or you could get away with a software MPC like this one:

http://www.akaipro.com/products/mpc-series/impc

Load a few different cannon samples on the first few pads, use them in different combinations to give it some depth and so that it doesn't sound too canned with every blast being the same. You could also load the carillon sample on one of the pads.

Connect the mpc or tablet to the house sound with a direct box.

I'd let a percussionist "play" it from the stage rather than a sound engineer relying on a cue.
    --
    Barry

http://www.drummercafe.com/forum/ind...?topic=24489.0

I kind of favor the use of the (off stage) empty steel drum and suitable blank cartridge. Then you'd actually be doing it with an "instrument" and a "player". For full effect (smoke and "aroma"), I'd encourage the use of a series of shots from black bowder pistols into the drum. But I suspect this would not be greeted with universal enthusiasm. Bet you could find a willing percussionist.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

But I suspect this would not be greeted with universal enthusiasm.
    You're right Gary. This was discussed and given all recent shooting horror stories was dismissed.

Thanks Barry. I'll check that out.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Sic transit veritas.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Did the multiple little carbide cannon deal in high school (1967) for the 1812.

No problems until the last rehearsal, where one set a giant blue velvet curtain on fire.

It got put out quickly. Went to the biggest bass drum obtainable.

DG

7. Where I live in SW MO, we used to have a regional Independence Day celebration called "FireFall." Yes, the usual stage at the large field by the airport with music and comedy all day long, vendors, kiddie rides at the back, etc., including the usual closing with fireworks. Several times, the regional orchestra as one of their selections did play the 1812 Overture, and the local Nat. Guard armory brought out their guns to contribute to the show. My party band played there one year when there were 60,000 in attendance. Of course, with that many people, we opened with CSN "Suite Judy Blue Eyes." And everybody stayed to hear us!

And then there is the annual Tchaikovsky evening at Royal Albert Hall every January, which I have been privileged to attend a couple of times. They also use real mortars inside for the 1812. The first time one of them went off, I think I cleared my chair by six inches! Fortunately, that was all

Record a child saying “Boom!” Or otherwise making cannon sounds...haha!
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    You might hire the Presidential Salute Battery (PSB) from the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), who provide the real cannons and authentic thrills, smoke and smells, along with my previous outfit, The United States Army Band, performing 1812 Overture in late summer every year in Washington, D. C. The Salute Battery should be amply warmed up and rehearsed by now and ready for a road trip. The cost might be a bit prohibitive, though.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

We finished our latest concert, "The Russians Are Coming" the past two weekends. It went pretty well with some really tough music – all written by Russian composers. The three toughest pieces were "Festive Overture", "Spanish Dance" (Shostakovich) and movements 8 and 9 of "Pictures at an Exhibition" (Moussorgsky, arr. Leidzen). For the encore we played the final section (Largo at 'O') of "1812 Overture" (Tchaikovsky). The cannon effect went pretty well. We had a percussionist with a tablet just press a button to play the cannon shots. Similar to what Barry suggested. Thanks Barry.

If you want to listen to it here's a link:
    1812 Overture - Pyotr Tchaikovsky (Encore Largo section)
    ... sounds like one of our piccolos was in a hurry to get home.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)