Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing My Identity--or at Least my Login...

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Dave,

I have never had a problem in the 5-6 years I have been here. I always stayed logged in. I am now having problems since you made your change. I am using IE version 11.

I don't remember if I checked the remember me box on login, however, this morning I did after I got logged out right after logging in. As I said above, I had never experienced any problems before now.

This is my second edit. Yesterday if I tried this, I would be logged out. So, after checking the remember me box, I seem to be staying logged in.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 10-15-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Dave,

I have never had a problem in the 5-6 years I have been here. I always stayed logged in. I am now having problems since you made your change. I am using IE version 11.

I don't remember if I checked the remember me box on login, however, this morning I did after I got logged out right after logging in. As I said above, I had never experienced any problems before now.

This is my second edit. Yesterday if I tried this, I would be logged out. So, after checking the remember me box, I seem to be staying logged in.
    Thanks, John. Sorry for the runaround. This is really getting confusing!

I am currently logged in with IE11 without checking the Remember box.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Dave,

(snip) Yesterday if I tried this, I would be logged out. So, after checking the remember me box, I seem to be staying logged in.
    When I logged in yesterday after the change, I logged in but forgot to check ‘remember me’. Just going to any discussion thread I noticed I was logged out. So I logged back in but checked ‘remember me’. Since then it’s been fine for me. I’m using FF with latest update.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

So I guess one question is what exactly "remember me" does and so why that shouldn't be turned on as the default?

This does start to smell like some sort of "design bug" (aka "oversight") in the board software.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    So I guess one question is what exactly "remember me" does and so why that shouldn't be turned on as the default?
    The checkbox tells the forum to create a cookie on your computer's drive (as most sites do). But without the check, it will only have the cookie in the browser's floating memory, so when you close it and come back in, the cookie will be gone. Some people prefer that to be the case, such as when they use a library computer (although the log out link will take care of that need).

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    This does start to smell like some sort of "design bug" (aka "oversight") in the board software.
    Not to me, because the software has not been changed for well over a year (and that was only an update). It seems more likely to me that the browsers have tightened up the rules about the memory (floating) storage. They have tightened many other things for security purposes, and that is the only thing I can think of that makes sense when things that used to work just stop "at random." But I hope the vendor of the software has a solution.

FWIW, I just logged in again with no checkbox. I was OK until I navigated to the main site and came back to the forum. I was no longer logged in. So I just logged in yet again without the checkbox. I'll copy this text in case I get kicked off!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Good afternoon Dave,
    I've been logged in for about 10 or so minutes and have navigated a bit through the site without any ill effects. Unlike some of your colleagues, I do not choose to be perpetually logged in.
    Thank you for your work!
    Euph Loosh
    Imperial by Boosey & Hawkes 4-valve Euphonium (mid-1950's)
    MPs: Kosikup 1 1/2, Bowman BB2 Euro shank, Denis Wick 4AM; Marcus Bonna case

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post

Not to me, because the software has not been changed for well over a year (and that was only an update).
    I would buy into this except that over about 20 years in my past life when I was a commercial compiler developer/manager, it was astonishing to repeatedly discover examples of fundamental bugs (I mean really obvious fundamental bugs, once you found the problematic code and looked at the problem) that had remained untriggered and undiscovered for years. And this was in the context of that code (hundreds of thousands of lines) repeatedly passing (usually on a weekly basis) through multiple highly complex "test suites" in order to meet international standards. The development team would at that point fix it, add some cases to our own test suites and pass those on to the third-party suites we bought, and then sit around and say things like "I can't understand how that didn't show up over the past five years."

Until the problem has definitively been identified so that you KNOW what the cause is (through genuine and close debugging), you never know whether the speculative "Try this and see" approach now popular in software engineering has really been successful. But it's easier and cheaper to get your customers to test your code than to do it yourself.

I do hope you're right. The problem in these web software cases is that there are so many different independent "components" in the mix, and too many places that the assumptions one makes (or has recently been changed to make) are not made evident to the others which aren't, or aren't any longer, or never did, make those assumptions. And nobody wants to spend the time testing all that before they make a new release since it's not seen as cost-effective and you can always point the finger elsewhere. And if you're not the one doing the development, you're at the mercy of those who do.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Still not working for me on Wednesday.
    Says I can't post because I'm not logged in, but I
    see "Welcome, Snorlax" at the top of the page.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Still not working for me on Wednesday.
    Says I can't post because I'm not logged in, but I
    see "Welcome, Snorlax" at the top of the page.
    Interesting that it still greeted you. I'll pass that info along in case it helps.

I assume your Roboform is a browser plugin? Could you do one more experiment? If it is not a lot of trouble, try to disable the Roboform extension temporarily (that is usually easy for browser extensions, but I've never used Roboform). Then close the browser and open it again, making sure Roboform is still disabled. Then try to login manually to the forum and see what happens. This is grasping at straws, given what [I think] I know about that extension, but it is a standard troubleshooting technique. Thanks.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Snorlax: one more question. When you are in the not-able-to-post situation, do you still see the "Reply to Thread" button? In my case, when I am logged out, I don't see that (but I do still see the "Reply With Quote" link).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast