Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing My Identity--or at Least my Login...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Losing My Identity--or at Least my Login...

Hi...
    I log into the forum on Windows 10 using the RoboForm login manager.
    If I try to look at some photos or mark somw subforums as read, my logi
    simply disappears--I can't post, look at pictures, etc.
    Odd, eh?
    Anyone else get this?
    Any wisdom, Dave?
    Jim
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

I'm no expert, but I'd guess it has to do with how the architecture of the web site has been done. Maybe something about sub-domains or some such? Credentials not getting passed?

Why don't you just memorize all your passwords and ids like the rest of us do? Technology isn't the solution to everything, you know.

(The solution to this that my wife and I have is an incredibly long Word document that has a table of all our accounts, and related info in it. It's encrypted, of course, but you do have to look up stuff in it all the time. )
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Yep, I got one of those, too. It is an Excel spreadsheet, encrypted, and contains all of my logins and user ids for a bazillion things. Anyone that says don't write your ids and passwords down, just memorize them, is bonkers. Then all the government ones have to be about a million characters long with one each of the special characters and then you have to change it about every week it seems. And to make it even a bigger pain, on some, once you login, they send you some code by email that you have to enter. Geeeeeesssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life was simpler a long time ago.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    . . . . And to make it even a bigger pain, on some, once you login, they send you some code by email that you have to enter. Geeeeeesssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life was simpler a long time ago.
    True, but I've found that I can copy the code from the email and paste into the place they want it entered. Makes it a little simpler but still a pain.
    Steve Petrangelo
    Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (trombone/treasurer)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    True, but I've found that I can copy the code from the email and paste into the place they want it entered. Makes it a little simpler but still a pain.
    Yes, I do the copy and paste, also. I'm actually a technically savvy sort (M.S. in Computer Science and a bunch of years at HP after my Army career). But, that doesn't mean I like the login hassles. I occasionally have to change my junk mail filter to not automatically delete "junk" because some of these emails with the code in them were going straight to my junk folder and being automatically deleted. Just a real pain. There needs to be a better way.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I am having the same issue, but it's on my Android phone instead. I can log in, and then when I try to post, I will be prompted to relog, but it will never get past the login page. So I can't post at all on my phone's browser. I have to use my PC's web browser if I want to post anything.

I very seldom get logged out and come to this forum several times per day. I also use Win10 with a password app on my PC, iPhone and iPad. Sounds weird Jim don’t know what to suggest.

memorizing passwords!? Yeah right.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I'm not sure what is happening to cause this. My login on 2 different PC's with Windows 10 is always stable. My iPhone is a different store, as it does not seem to want to keep me logged in for long periods.

One thing to note is that cookies can be sensitive to the full domain, so "dwerden.com" and "www.dwerden.com" could involve 2 different cookies. The website is supposed to force you to the "www" version, but I'm not sure it works for all browsers.

And a point of interest: Google Chrome is about to change how its browser works (so I have heard, anyway). The address bar will not show the prefix of the domain (i.e. "www", "store", etc.). This could cause a bit of confusion, and there are several complaints preceding the new version. Google may change their mind.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Yeah, makes sense. If no URL format normalization is being done, then possibly a "front end" like RoboForm won't try to "knock on the right door" by attempting its own normalization in the event of failure. If that's the issue, then it raises some interesting security concerns because you wouldn't necessarily WANT your automated login application to be doing what it "thinks" is a reasonable normalization and take you into some site that you don't want to be on. But that would seem to mean that RoboForm would work only for sites (and "sub-sites") that internally always provide full URLs (which they SHOULD, but I imagine many may not).

I'd suggest contacting RoboForm support, describing exactly the scenario that's being encountered, and asking them what THEY think the problem is. They've probably already experienced it in one form or another. Possibly they have some URL normalization feature that's off by default and can be turned on as part of the user's configuration.

Obviously just guessing here.
    Gary Merrill
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)

There are better ways, but there are always trade-offs. Biometric login is relatively secure and I don't think can be "hacked" in any normal way. The system I"m typing this on now ( a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 "2 in 1" tablet/computer) offers it and I sometimes use it when I don't have by big monitor and keyboard hooked to it). But it introduces complications as a web login approach. And even it isn't perfect since the fingerprint (or whatever other pattern is used) could be stolen in various circumstances rather than decrypted. Also, I don't really care too much if someone hacks my password for this site. But I'm a lot more careful with access to sites that involve my financial resources.

I don't mind most of the inconvenience of maintaining multiple passwords for accounts. But I do get unhappy when I see login policies being adopted that introduce complication which doesn't add obvious increased protection to password breaking. And a lot of what you see in this area (and it continues to be the case in terms of "experts" offering password guidance on TV and such) makes sense only in the context of the the systems and password constraints (e.g., eight characters in length, case folding, no non-alphanumeric characters, etc.) that we had in the 80s and 90s.
    Gary Merrill

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast