Thread: Nice soung of oval tenorhorn

1. Nice soung of oval tenorhorn

Here is "Ernst Hutter & Die Egerlander Musikanten - Romanze fur Tenorhorn 2010"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-YpBWJnhgI

Interesting comment:
    "What a gorgeous tone he has. I watch lots of YouTube videos of the various types of horns: the British-style upright tenor horns and baritones as well as the German and East European style oval shaped ones. To my ears the German style ones always sound better, a more open, resonant, singing tone. The British ones can still sound stuffy even when in the hands of virtuoso players. I am seriously considering taking up one of these German style instruments, which aren't generally available for sale in the UK. The oval design just seems to produce a better sound".

That is a nice video, and an interesting comment (as you said).

The artist plays very nicely. His instrument is like a smaller euphonium in some ways, related to the bore shape. It is a tenorhorn, which is sort-of the oval equivalent of a British baritone horn. But the tenorhorn seems to have a more conical bore. It is the smaller of the two instruments used in European bands (the larger is closer to a "standard" euphonium and is called baryton).

Bottom line is that this horn has a more compact sound compared to euphonium, and is almost certainly easier to play in this higher range. The more compact sound would make it more appropriate in the high range. It sounds like he is using an appropriately small mouthpiece as well.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Great playing! Always like to hear that recording from time to time. Is this the propper tenorhorn for Mahler 7th, right? Or a Baryton would be better?
    Some stuff

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    It is a tenorhorn, which is sort-of the oval equivalent of a British baritone horn. But the tenorhorn seems to have a more conical bore. It is the smaller of the two instruments used in European bands (the larger is closer to a "standard" euphonium and is called baryton).
    Just a few small remarks, if I may:

A Tenorhorn does not necessarily need to be oval. At least not in the early days. I own a straight Tenorhorn from early 20th Century maker Anton Hüller. It looks just like a very small Euphonium (wich is why I erroneously bought it off eBay ) with rotary instead of normal valves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17554586_1121595067951091_7012091877686378456_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	6326

Also, some European bands use Euphoniums just as well. The use of Tenorhorn and Bariton or Baryton I believe is more specifically German and Eastern European practice.
    Last edited by MarChant; 09-17-2018 at 02:07 PM.

I’m a fan of anything that I can make music with, really. That being said, I’ve have found some wacky instruments and I’m sure there exist many, many, more!
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

A few years ago a German band I play with had a guest sitting in (Norbert Galle, composer of Boehrmischer Traum). I was asked to provide him an instrument (he plays tenorhorn). I handed him my Besson 955 Sovereign baritone, and he plugged in his wick 9!! Mouthpiece, and sounded like an authentic tenorhorn.

Don