Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1910 Martin 4 valve Euphonium

1910 Martin 4 valve Euphonium

A lovely looking, frosted silver, 100+ year old, in good playing condition, horn in need of a new and loving home. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-191...0AAOSwo4pYJoql Not mine, but one I saw on Ebay. I just want it to go to a good home. And for Dave to get credit for the sale (smile/laugh).
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Beautiful instrument. Almost certainly high pitch. One owner from 1910? Yikes!! Looks like it was bought and then immediately stored.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

So the guy (maybe gal) is only 108 years old, with mind & body well enough to list an item on eBay. Truly amazing!

DDG.

I agree; the "one owner" claim seems rather unlikely given the age of the horn. But just maybe it is what collectors sometimes call a "barn find". An item purchased new, then stored away and forgotten about, until the right person comes along and discovers where it has been sitting, in hiding, but also not taking abuse/wear and tear. Kind of like what Gary said. But I really kind of doubt that the original owner survived to post the sales offer. Maybe their descendant, who still thinks of it as "Dad's/Grandad's horn."

Whether that part is true or not, it is still a lovely, old horn with a nice lineage, and possibly a storied provenance. Surely you folks understand why I meddled and posted it to our group (smile/joke).

- Sara

Posting was a good idea. It's potentially an extraordinary find for someone interested in a "period piece" like that. Definitely appears (modulo looking at it in person or getting more details) to be highly collectible or even to be usable in a period group. Assuming it is high pitch (like I said, almost certain, but undetermined), it would be a shame to see it butchered to bring it into 440.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Still for sale

It looks like the Martin euphonium I posted about is, incredibly, still for sale. The owner/ebay vendor had to relist it. Wow! While they are asking $2200 (with free shipping), they do have a "Make Offer" button available.

Is the strong possibility of the horn being high pitch that big a detraction? Or are we all just broke and/or satisfied with the horn(s) we have? (smile/joking)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28255547536...84.m1436.l2649

- Sara

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    It looks like the Martin euphonium I posted about is, incredibly, still for sale. The owner/ebay vendor had to relist it. Wow! While they are asking $2200 (with free shipping), they do have a "Make Offer" button available.

Is the strong possibility of the horn being high pitch that big a detraction? Or are we all just broke and/or satisfied with the horn(s) we have? (smile/joking)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28255547536...84.m1436.l2649

- Sara
    Using a high pitch instrument in a modern ensemble wouldn't work out well at all; it would be very very sharp. You might be able to pull the slides and lip down, but it would be difficult and tiring and concert B natural and C (13 and 123) would be unworkable. I know... I played a 1910 York in High School while the band was waiting for its instruments to arrive. It was a miserable experience! I think that horn would be interesting to a collector, but the price is way off. I think $350 - $1000 is what it'll end up at.

Well, it is a 4-valve horn so that combo wouldn't be too far off if the slides could move out enough.

It would need at least 3" pull on the main slide to make A=440 if indeed HP.

DG

Wow! A minimum of three inches of adjustment. I did not realize that "in tune" had varied that much over the last 100 or so years.

Just for my edification. So if a horn is "low pitch", does that mean it uses A = 440? Or that it uses something even lower?

- Sara

Typically, LP is 440Hz=A

HP or "Operatic Pitch" was 452Hz or thereabouts.

The change was mostly occurring in the 1930's, but some manufactures offered HP horns into the 60's.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast