Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to buy Miraphone m5050

That appears to be a Miraphone gig bag. It’s actually what I use thanks to Rick’s feedback.

EDIT: Oddly, another search turned up the actual horn (M5050) from the same seller. Take a look!
    Last edited by Clayton M.; 09-18-2018 at 10:09 PM.
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

2. Thanks to all and keep the suggestions rolling in please!

I contacted that seller. Great guy, real friendly and made time to tell me about a few issues with the m5050.

1. Dented valve slide going to 4th valve right as it comes out of first valve. (Tech said near impossible to fix without some serious surgery)
    2. Slides and valve caps stuck.
    3. (Small?) Crease to the front of bell
    4. Needs sonic cleaning and polish

This is all that he mentioned. Im Curious about that dent to the 4th tubing coming right out of the first valve section. I know these horns have a smaller 4th bore than others and that adds resistance yes?
    Ive wanted this horn for a while and am tempted but hoping for a better quality used horn.

What does the group think? Get it for this price [between 5k-6k] and have the repairs (all but the dented slide) completed? Or keep the search going?

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I didnt even know about that market place before you all! Many thanks!!

So is the seller claiming that the horn is indeed an M5050 in spite of its badging? Maybe early model badging was different, not sure. Regarding the dent in tubing from 1st to 4th valve -- that may or may not be a problem. It depends on how deep the dent is and how nodes line up for certain notes. Sounds to me like the horn wasn't very well cared for with all the slides and valve caps stuck. If it were me I think I'd wait for another opportunity given the wanted price. But, that's your choice.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

4. Greetings,

Sorry for the confusion. The horn from https://www.musicgoroundduluthga.com...BoCOZEQAvD_BwE

Appears to be a 5000 whereas, the seller that I mentioned previously is selling a for sure M5050 with gold accents and tuning trigger from a diffrent post in the FB marketplace.
    He has a few pictures of the dent and both techs i talked to were not optimistic about that repair.
    Being how I could get a prestige for thousands less it is really hard to pull the trigger if indeed this seller didnt take the best care of this horn.

5. Im wondering if that 5000 might satisfy my craving for the large Euph Ive been looking for all this time.? I know the bell is smaller but the bore should be the same. Hard to argue with $3700 (for the 5000) vs $5000-$6000(m5050 in questionable shape) ...

In my experience, once I have my mind set on something, nothing else will truly satisfy me. In hindsight, the other options would have been perfectly suitable, but I wasn’t satisfied until I got the initial thing.

That being said, it might very well work for you, but don’t be surprised if the itch isn’t scratched.
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

7. Very true!

Okay I understand now. Can’t check the one on Facebook cause I don’t do FB.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12