Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for info on F.Besson Euphonium

1. At the risk of echo, repetition, and redundancy: for the price, Wessex.

The Wessex production line is separate from all the other Jinbaos. Jonathan watches his team like a hawk, and plays each and every horn before shipping.

Some are not perfect, but if anything goes wrong there is a 3-year warranty. The fallout is if it craps out soon after purchase, you get a new one.

DG

John Packard vs Wessex

Here in Sacramento, CA too. John Packard euphoniums are more expensive than their sister-clone Wessex models. So interesting to see the differences in pricing from place to place. And color me jealous. It would be a hoot to go to a Wessex facility and try their horns. Only slightly less fun than going to Tianjin, China and trying them at the factory. (laugh)
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Technically that's a saxhorn basse and not a euphonium, although the instruments are close enough that it could pass. Those older instruments have a certain charm, but as far as intonation and playability a modern instrument, even if it's Chinese, is going to be a much better bet.
    --
    Barry

@Barry - thanks for the technicality - much appreciated - I was wondering why the tubing was wound differently - now I know! And that explains all those lawsuits with Adolphe.

Didn't make it to Andover today - a bug refused to stay fixed so I couldn't take the afternoon off. Computers, eh? Hey ho.

But now the trip is going to be postponed even longer, because I've just bought a John Packer JP374S MkI I found on the Facebook "Buy And Sell Brass UK" group. It arrives Thursday - can't wait! I know it isn't quite as good as the JP274S MkII that replaced it, but then it didn't cost as much as one either!

So the plan now is to see how I get on with the 374 then go for an upgrade sooner or later with a bit more forethought than this purchase. The chap who sold me the 374 works for JP, so maybe I can get a good deal on a new 274 or 374 MkII, or go for the Dolce that everyone on this forum likes, or maybe stretch a bit and get the secondhand Sovereign that I've always wanted.

Your new axe is a good horn, I'm sure you'll be happy if it is in good shape.

Dennis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12