Thread: Church Service Participation #1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Church Service Participation #1

Here is my first set of videos that are all from one church service in early August. There are ample opportunities in a service, and in this case I played 4 times. One of those was not a solo as such, but was playing along with a hymn. Here is the lot!

Bernard Fitzgerald's great arrangement of Handel's Air and Variations (from the 5th harpsichord suite), which we used as a prelude:

Here is the hymn participation I mentioned. In this case the hymn was Eternal Father (the Coast Guard and Navy hymn). I played the melody, and then played the tenor part from the hymnal for the last verse. It made a decent countermelody (I did not have my descant books with me).

The offering was from the Philip Sparke book "Classic Hymns". This is the first piece in the book, "O Worship the King."

The postlude, where I like something snappy and not too long. We used the soprano solo "Alleluia" by Mozart:

Last edited by davewerden; 09-08-2018 at 07:19 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

These all sound wonderful Dave! It's an excellent example of how the euphonium can add to a church's worship service. Thanks for sharing.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Very nice!

4. Playing for a religious service is necessary to the overall development of all musicians. Playing to facilitate the service, and the attendees in their worship, as opposed to simply playing a solo or concert, is a shift in focus that not enough players do, much less understand the importance of doing so, whatever the religion, denomination, or type or style of service.

I am lucky. I have been a part of religious music ever since as a toddler my parents got me up on the chancel steps with the other toddlers and choir director to sing "Jesus Loves Me," and later explain why that is important to help the others worship, and is not as merely a performance.

I see more unity, appreciation and tolerance among musicians who play for religious services, irrespective of religion, denomination, or type or style of service, than any other group of persons otherwise.

5. Very nice, Dave. I love hearing the low brass in church.