Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Medium Shank Mouth Piece on a Small Shank Yamaha EP100?

1. Thank you for clarifying, Doug! Do you know if the Conn Trombonium also used a Remington-medium shank? I remember trying the horn and a large shank mouthpiece did not fit and a small shank was clearly too small.
    Last edited by Jasonium; 11-04-2018 at 04:32 PM.
    Yamaha Neo 642TSII
    Denis Wick SM4 Ultra X

2. Don't know about all Conn Tromboniums, but I played both Conn and King Tromboniums with small shank mouthpieces in HS.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

3. Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Jason,

I played just about every American baritone made as a student between 1960 - 1974. This includes all Conn's, Reynolds, Bundy, King, Olds, etc. ONLY the Conn Connstellation had a medium shank and all other Conn's were tenor. But a euro-medium shank mouthpiece (for a a Willson 2900 or Besson New Standard) will not fit directly. The Conn was a Remington-medium shank which is just slightly larger than but similar taper to a euro-medium so that a modern medium shank mouthpiece (Wick 5BM for example) will bottom out. To get a modern euro-shank mouthpiece to fit, you have to remove about 1/8" - 1/4" from the end of the shank. Then it will fit fine. I have done this to a Wick 5BM for my Connstellation.

Doug
    Doug's experience is consistent with my comment that each manufacturer at one point had a proprietary mouthpiece taper, but not what we now call the "medium shank" as on the pre-1974-ish Besson/B&H horns.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123