Thread: I just got this. 1015-1016 Conn

1. I just got this. 1015-1016 Conn

I just picked this up at a yard sale. What do you guys think. The serial number is 147xxx. I have seen 2 different serial number data sheets and one says 1916 and the other says 1915? Looks to be in pretty good shape. The valves move freely and very few small dents. The people at the sale said that they planed to just throw it in the trash! So i grabbed it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG9913.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	847.3 KB 
ID:	6273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG9908.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	1,015.3 KB 
ID:	6274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG9910.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	917.1 KB 
ID:	6275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG9914.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	943.5 KB 
ID:	6276

2. Looks like a nice early example. I have a 1905ish Conn Double Bell in my collection. Serial Numbers give us a good date approximation, but it seems few companies still have really accurate data for the early years. The buying, selling, and name changes of various companies also complicate old data. If that is the edge of a case in one of your pics, that is a real find.
    Jim
    Jim Babbitt
    1960s 4 valve and 1971 3 valve Besson New Standards (Denis Wick 6BM) for regular playing
    1936 Conn 5 valve 30I Double Bell (Bach 6-1/2AL) General Purpose Back -Up
    1924 Buescher 5 valve (the Denis Wick is close) and 1940 Holton 5 valve (Bach 6-1/2AL) Double Bells for kicks.
    1860s OTS Saxhorn when history is required (the Denis Wick fits)

3. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Babbitt View Post
    Looks like a nice early example. I have a 1905ish Conn Double Bell in my collection. Serial Numbers give us a good date approximation, but it seems few companies still have really accurate data for the early years. The buying, selling, and name changes of various companies also complicate old data. If that is the edge of a case in one of your pics, that is a real find.
    Jim
    Yes I got the case with it. It is in rough shape but it saved the brass from being dented and damaged.

So what are your plans for this old horn...?
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

5. Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    So what are your plans for this old horn...?
    - Sara
    Don't know yet. Very cool looking. Might just make it a wall hanger.