Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Problems Playing High G (concert pitch).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DEF1
    • Apr 2018

I'm glad you've said this Lario. It would be great if anyone knew a fix.
    JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

Comment

• Lario
      • Sep 2018

Already! We forgot to mention that on this horn there is a trigger on the first slide. I also thought that it is the greater tolerance between internal and external tubes (to allow sliding) to cause this anomaly to G ..... I'm really sorry that my horn has this problem. .any help is welcome

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by DEF1 View Post
        Further update:

After changing the cork me Euph did seem better but still not perfect. Tonight at band I tried a Besson Sovereign and was able to hit the note every time. This says something is still wrong with my own Euph, any ideas what it could be??
        I don't think you've told us what kind of horn you have, which may affect the responses somewhat.

On one of my Besson New Standards and one or two of my Sovereign 967's (all British, before Buffet took over) I noticed over time that the concert G was a little stuffy. In my case I noticed it on the middle range (4th space on the bass clef staff). As I played slow scales that went through that note, I could hear more tone difference on that note than any of the others. It was not particularly hard to play, I suppose, but it did not feel the same as the other notes. Using 3rd valve alone for it solved the problem. That indicated that the combined passages with 12 were just a bit too twisty, perhaps. In any case, when I switched to Sterling I didn't notice it, and it is not an issue on my Adams.

Older Bessons were quite variable from one to the next. I have no doubt that many were great horns (I know because I played on a couple) and also that some "dogs" existed.

It is possible a good repair tech could find the trouble, too. Sometimes there is an obstruction inside the horn that simple cleaning would not remove. Or you can have internal leaks within a piston as well. Etc.

As your neighbor with the Prestige to blow on your horn and see if he/she notices anything odd.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• DEF1
          • Apr 2018

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
          I don't think you've told us what kind of horn you have, which may affect the responses somewhat.

On one of my Besson New Standards and one or two of my Sovereign 967's (all British, before Buffet took over) I noticed over time that the concert G was a little stuffy. In my case I noticed it on the middle range (4th space on the bass clef staff). As I played slow scales that went through that note, I could hear more tone difference on that note than any of the others. It was not particularly hard to play, I suppose, but it did not feel the same as the other notes. Using 3rd valve alone for it solved the problem. That indicated that the combined passages with 12 were just a bit too twisty, perhaps. In any case, when I switched to Sterling I didn't notice it, and it is not an issue on my Adams.

Older Bessons were quite variable from one to the next. I have no doubt that many were great horns (I know because I played on a couple) and also that some "dogs" existed.

It is possible a good repair tech could find the trouble, too. Sometimes there is an obstruction inside the horn that simple cleaning would not remove. Or you can have internal leaks within a piston as well. Etc.

As your neighbor with the Prestige to blow on your horn and see if he/she notices anything odd.
          Dave, post 12 above says it's a Courtois 167R. The same as Lario who also has the same problem with his 167R.
          JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by DEF1 View Post
            Dave, post 12 above says it's a Courtois 167R. The same as Lario who also has the same problem with his 167R.
            Sorry I missed that. However, in a general way, my comments about my Besson experience still apply. Your horn may simple have a bad note. I'd still check with a good repair shop. In the old Besson days, ex-Marine-Band euphoniumist Karl Humble had a repair show, and he was know for doing wonders with Bessons. Often he would just un-solder joints and re-solder them more precisely.
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
            YouTube: dwerden
            Facebook: davewerden
            Twitter: davewerden
            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Lario
              • Sep 2018

Thanks Dave for your interest !! My 167 seems to be well-cleaned lined valves (2mm felts are used) the removable leadpipe is well cleaned. It could not be the first slide that is not sufficiently precise due to the movement required to trigger. horn DEF1 same problem.Il and suffocated with both 12 and 3 so I was wrong to blame the first slide .. I will be repetitive but I'm sorry that the 167 have this problem ....

Comment

• RickF
                • Jan 2006

As Dave Werden stated some horns just have a bad note. If you’ve tried everything else you might like to read this from many years ago on TubeNet. I have it book marked as “Hooey Alert”. There are nodes and anti-nodes within a horn that can affect how a note responds. This post was about making a high B natural speak better. Then a high A by another player. It makes sense after reading it.

Hooey Alert - Now I’m a believer:
                http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic....0d3499#p121474
                Last edited by RickF; 09-29-2018, 01:48 PM.
                Rick Floyd
                Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

Working...
                X