Thread: It’s Official!

It’s Official!

Received my euphonium delivery today so I’m officially a euphonium owner!

I purchased a XO 1270S at what I think to have been quite a deal at $3,000.

It’ll take a bit to get used to the new method of holding it, as I had only ever played on the four inline valve types, but I also got one of the Quick Horn Rinse straps. Also, did a bit of paracord wrap on the hand grip area, for extra flair.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8C81E12C-4862-41A8-8DEA-99FE960C2B4C.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	6272

Hmmm. I wonder whether that paracord will abrade or degrade the silver finish over time? Maybe somebody knowledgeable can comment on that. But, whatever, happy playing!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
    Hmmm. I wonder whether that paracord will abrade or degrade the silver finish over time? Maybe somebody knowledgeable can comment on that. But, whatever, happy playing!

Randy
    Possibly but I know the oils on my hand fairly quickly ate through the silver plating on the hand guard of my Willson many years ago. It should at the least delay this issue. A better solution would be the leather guards often seen for this application.

Leather is fine but shouldn't be in contact with the silver plate. It was recommended to use a fabric glue to line the leather with a felt made of cotton, not any other fiber. So we'll see how that works over the years.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Quote Originally Posted by BDeisinger View Post
    Leather is fine but shouldn't be in contact with the silver plate. It was recommended to use a fabric glue to line the leather with a felt made of cotton, not any other fiber. So we'll see how that works over the years.
    YES! I used leather guards on my Bessons and Sterlings. I used a spray fabric glue (so I would get an even distribution that would not bleed through the cloth) and fastened cotton flannel to the backside of the leather. No problems after many years.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I had my first rehearsal with my new euph last night and it was exciting. I didn’t have issues blending and handled the low range well. (We are rehearsing First Suite). I’m thrilled to be performing low brass on my very own instrument and will probably stay here until I am needed elsewhere, though that doesn’t seem likely.
    Clayton M.
    Musician for Fun
    Euphonium Newbie - XO 1270S
    Trumpet Novice - XO 1602RS

Good to hear Clayton. Congrarts!
    Holst 1st and 2nd suites are two of my favorites.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)