• SammyMcWong6
    • Jul 2018

Euphonium False Tones

Anybody got false tone fingerings for a Boosey & Hawkes Regent
    Sammy Wong
    St George Brass Band, Sydney
    Bass Trombone (Senior Band)
    Bb Bass (Junior Band)

Bach Stradivarius 50B3G (Vincent Bach 1 1/2G Megatone/Vincent Bach 1 1/2GM)
    Conn 88H (Denis Wick 3AL)
    Yamaha YSL-154 (Denis Wick 4AY/Vincent Bach 6 1/2 AL)
    (On Loan) Boosey & Hawkes Regent 4v non-comp Eupho (Denis Wick 4AM)
    (On Loan) Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 3v comp Bb Tuba (Denis Wick 1L)
    (On Loan) Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 4v comp Eb Tuba (Denis Wick 1L/Besson Copy of Vincent Bach 24AW "TU-24")
  • BrassedOn
    • Aug 2018

Guessing you're on a three valve non-compensating horn, right? Would be the same for all brands, and same for tuba an octave down. The notes can be squirrelly and you might find the same fingering can catch more than one note, but I have found the below stuff true on my horns.

On a 3-valve Bb baritone in concert pitch, the false tones that fill in the gap between line below the staff low E (123) the pedal range Bb are pretty standard.
    Eb one line below the staff, open, then the rest down chromatically from that:
    D, 2
    Db, 1,
    C 1&2, or 3
    B 2&3
    false Bb 1&3 can be tough but doable. (if I was playing a passage that went from false C to Bb or B to Bb, I might play the false Bb so there was no big change in tone, air)
    Then pedal range Bb is open, regular fingerings down to pedal E, below that, you might squeeze out another set of false tones below pedal E.

I find this practice helps develop my pedals, and if you move on to a 4 valve horn someday, you'll already have accustomed your ear and lips to some degree.

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
      • Jun 2018

Thank you for the fingering! I have yet to figure out how to play the false notes yet, can't seem to find the right embouchure placement. Going to try the fingerings and see!
      "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
      Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
      https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

Working...
      X