Thread: Stubborn Stains on Instrument & Change of Feel after Polishing?

Stubborn Stains on Instrument & Change of Feel after Polishing?

Hello!

So I haven't polished my Euphonium for probably.... at least 5-7 years, maybe more. Didn't touch it at all for the past 2 years before starting to play on it again this year.

I decided to polish my instrument yesterday and noticed there were some stains that just can't be removed at all, is that normal? And is there an explanation for them? There are like huge patches of dark stains that won't come out. I should probably take a photo of them, will do that after work later!

Also, does polishing a heavily tarnished instrument change the way it feels and handles?

I didn't play my instrument for the past 4 days as I had a wisdom tooth extraction. Today, when I tried to play the newly polished instrument, it felt a little off? I couldn't really pinpoint what it was, but it just felt like it handled differently, and I think the sound sounded a little brighter. Wondering if it's just because I didn't practice for 4 days or the polishing actually made the instrument "lighter".

Don’t know what the dark patches could be. Hopefully it’s not the silver finish coming off. Yes, a picture would help. Polishing shouldn’t change the way a horn plays or responds. I suspect it’s probably you’ve not played for a bit. Plus, you just had a tooth pulled.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    When the Saints Go Marching In (arr. Mashima) at ACB Conference Ft. Lauderdale
    Cell phone video of : El Cumbanchero:

Polishing would not affect your tone or the horn's playability.

Some tarnish can be very stubborn to get off the horn, and I suspect your dark spots fall into that category. Proximity to leather can cause this, too. Some gig bags had leather exposed around seams on the inside, which could cause tough tarnish to develop - tougher if left for a long time.

Try the Hagerty liquid polish, and try multiple times on these spots. Rub it on for a while, but gently. You want the chemicals to do the work more than friction.

https://www.amazon.com/Hagerty-10120.../dp/B0000CFMQO
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31Mlm6qyWYL.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	6245
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams E3, Denis Wick 4AL (classic)
    Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
    Twitter: davewerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    YouTube: dwerden
    Owner of TubaEuph.com, DWerden.com

Name:	photo_2018-08-21_06-54-52.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	6246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2018-08-21_06-54-53.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	6247

Here are the stains!

THanks Mr. Dave! Will try to do that and see.

Ouch. I'd be less worried about the stains and more worried about the lead pipe dent as far as effecting the playing characteristics.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by djwpe View Post
    Ouch. I'd be less worried about the stains and more worried about the lead pipe dent as far as effecting the playing characteristics.

Don
    That's a good catch. I've never actually gave them much thought, the dents. This euphonium has quite a few dents, and 1 extremely large one. They were all present when I got my hands on it

Name:	photo_2018-07-25_20-20-02 (2).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	6248

I've never had a private tutor and my band coach never said anything back then about this instrument, so I've been using it for ages. I think I may have gotten used to working around it, but now you are making me wonder if the dents have been impacting my playing without me realising it.

Like Don alluded to, a dent in the lead pipe can be problematic. Dents further away like the bell or bottom bow are less worrisome.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    When the Saints Go Marching In (arr. Mashima) at ACB Conference Ft. Lauderdale
    Cell phone video of : El Cumbanchero: