Thread: CD Review: Hustle - Mark Glover

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. CD Review: Hustle - Mark Glover

Hi all,

While in the UK this month (August 2018) I had the pleasure of meeting Mark Glover, a Sterling Artist currently living in Dubai, who was on holiday in the West Midlands of England. A graduate of Royal Welsh College of Music and Dance (RWCMD), Mark lived in Singapore from 2012 to 2016. Mark has a new CD recording titled "Hustle". Since many of us have not had the opportunity to hear Mark's virtuoso performance style, I wanted to post a short review of Mark's new CD.

One of the things that immediately struck me about this collection is its eclectic nature, beginning with Shalom Alekham, a klezma style piece originally written for clarinet, to The Devil's Tongue, a classic "aire-varie" arranged by Harold Brasch, to Llulaby for Lucy, a slow, sonorous melody lovingly and unhurriedly performed by Mr. Glover, this CD covers the modern to the classic. What is clear throughout is that Mark is a fantastic euphonium performer who is not afraid to attack a range of repertoire.

The major work of the CD is Euphoria, a concerto by the Singaporean composer, Zaidi Sabtu Ramli. Wow! Originally premiered by Mark in Brazil in 2015, this is a demanding, technically virtuosic piece from a composer who should become more well known. I also particularly liked Hustle in Jozi, the namesake piece for the album, also composed by Mr. Ramli. Except for the Faur
    é Pavane and the previously mentioned The Devil's Tongue the rest of the album consists of original pieces that one hopes will become a better known part of the literature.

The playlist of this CD follows.

1) Sholem Alekhem, Rov Freidman - Béla Kovács
    2 -4) Concerto for Euphonium “Euphoria!” - Zaidi Sabtu-Ramli
    i Mania
    ii A Lucid Dreamin’
    iii Nirvana
    5) Pavane - Gabriel Fauré arr. Wesley Kendrick
    6) Scherzo for Euphonium and Piano - Asaad Hamzy
    7) Bells Across the Meadow - Albert Ketčlbey arr. Wesley Kendrick
    8) Through Her Eyes - Mark Glover
    9) The Devil’s Tongue - Hugo Schmidt arr. Harold Brasch
    10) Euphtude - Steven Lloyd-Gonzales
    11) Lullaby for Lucy - Alex Thio
    12) Hustle in Jozi - Zaidi Sabtu-Ramli

Hustle
    is available on Mark's web site here:
    https://www.markglovermusic.co.uk/cd-hustle-sales
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Nice review, Doug! I finally got around to adding my own review in the blog:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...phonium-Hustle

I linked to your review from the blog, though, because you have some excellent thoughts!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Many thanks!

The CD is now available to download:

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/markglover2