Thread: CD Review: Hustle - Mark Glover

1. CD Review: Hustle - Mark Glover

Hi all,

While in the UK this month (August 2018) I had the pleasure of meeting Mark Glover, a Sterling Artist currently living in Dubai, who was on holiday in the West Midlands of England. A graduate of Royal Welsh College of Music and Dance (RWCMD), Mark lived in Singapore from 2012 to 2016. Mark has a new CD recording titled "Hustle". Since many of us have not had the opportunity to hear Mark's virtuoso performance style, I wanted to post a short review of Mark's new CD.

One of the things that immediately struck me about this collection is its eclectic nature, beginning with Shalom Alekham, a klezma style piece originally written for clarinet, to The Devil's Tongue, a classic "aire-varie" arranged by Harold Brasch, to Llulaby for Lucy, a slow, sonorous melody lovingly and unhurriedly performed by Mr. Glover, this CD covers the modern to the classic. What is clear throughout is that Mark is a fantastic euphonium performer who is not afraid to attack a range of repertoire.

The major work of the CD is Euphoria, a concerto by the Singaporean composer, Zaidi Sabtu Ramli. Wow! Originally premiered by Mark in Brazil in 2015, this is a demanding, technically virtuosic piece from a composer who should become more well known. I also particularly liked Hustle in Jozi, the namesake piece for the album, also composed by Mr. Ramli. Except for the Faur
    é Pavane and the previously mentioned The Devil's Tongue the rest of the album consists of original pieces that one hopes will become a better known part of the literature.

The playlist of this CD follows.

1) Sholem Alekhem, Rov Freidman - Béla Kovács
    2 -4) Concerto for Euphonium “Euphoria!” - Zaidi Sabtu-Ramli
    i Mania
    ii A Lucid Dreamin’
    iii Nirvana
    5) Pavane - Gabriel Fauré arr. Wesley Kendrick
    6) Scherzo for Euphonium and Piano - Asaad Hamzy
    7) Bells Across the Meadow - Albert Ketčlbey arr. Wesley Kendrick
    8) Through Her Eyes - Mark Glover
    9) The Devil’s Tongue - Hugo Schmidt arr. Harold Brasch
    10) Euphtude - Steven Lloyd-Gonzales
    11) Lullaby for Lucy - Alex Thio
    12) Hustle in Jozi - Zaidi Sabtu-Ramli

Hustle
    is available on Mark's web site here:
    https://www.markglovermusic.co.uk/cd-hustle-sales
    Sterling Virtuoso 1052HS & Adams E3 Prototype 0.70 Top Sprung valves
    Sterling Virtuoso 1050HS baritone
    New England Brass Band
    Winchendon Winds/Townsend Military Band

Nice review, Doug! I finally got around to adding my own review in the blog:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...phonium-Hustle

I linked to your review from the blog, though, because you have some excellent thoughts!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Many thanks!

The CD is now available to download:

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/markglover2