X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwesomeDad
    • Jun 2018

Willson 2975

Being a doubler I’ve started including the front facing valve models in my search. Especially after a friend of mine just purchased a festivo and seems to like it. Which Brings me to the Willson 2975. I’m just not finding a lot of recent information on it. So anyone that plays one feel free to chime in. I am aware that it’s not ideal for a section because of the left facing bell but otherwise how is the intonation? Any quirks?

JJ
    Miraphone 289
    Adams F5
    Kanstul 991 Custom
    Always room for more....
  • kdstaller
    • Aug 2017

Intonation is nearly identical to the Willson 2900. Upper register notes can be a challenge to dial in initially, but if there are other Willsons (or Bessons) in the section, you'll blend in perfectly with them. I've had no issues with the left facing bell in the section. It is short enough that it can fit across your lap without banging into your neighbors horn. The construction is probably the best euphonium I've ever owned. The main tuning slide is up near your left hand hold point and you can slide it with your left thumb for a "trigger" adjustment. There is only one water key on the main output tubing and all of the condensation accumulates there. All of the other slides are aimed up, so there is only one water key actuation that you have to make to empty the horn. The other euph players will look at you with envy as they drain their 2-3 water keys and pull two slides between selections.

It's ironic that you just posted this today. The 2975s are nearly impossible to find and they only pop up every two to three years for sale. I just put mine up for sale this morning on the wanted/for sale forum here and on the tuba euphonium marketplace on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
    X