Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterling Virtuoso Main Tuning Slide Trigger Sticking

Sterling Virtuoso Main Tuning Slide Trigger Sticking

I am growing increasingly frustrated at my tuning slide trigger mechanism. I have a relatively new Sterling Virtuoso Custom, and this sticking is driving me crazy. It doesn't gum up every time I use it, but it has at the worst times. There's no way this horn should already be having issues. I can confirm that there has been no damage to the horn. I currently use Denis Wick Ultra Pure Linkage and Lever Key Oil. Am I missing something with the screws on the assembly? Thanks for the help!
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director
    Solo Euphonium, Five Lakes Metro Brass Band

Besson Prestige 2052 (Gold)
    Shires Q41S (Medium Shank)

When I had a triggered Sterling, I used trombone slide cream. Oils and greases were sticking, but the slide cream worked great. I had to add a little every few days, and I cleaned and re-creamed it every couple weeks or so.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. What part of the trigger is sticking? If it's the slide then Dave's suggestion should do the trick. If it's something more mechanical then you might want to reach out to Paul Riggett.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

As far as trigger slides go, on my horn the usual suspects would guarantee sticking every session. This works very well on ALL slides:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-LUBE-...from=R40&rt=nc

DDG

I'm pretty confident it's the slide (not the main tuning slide, but the one attached to the main tuning slide). On another note, my 4th valve is awful noisy. I have Mead springs in all my valves, but the 4th is the only noisy one.
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director

6. Quote Originally Posted by bdawley81 View Post
    I'm pretty confident it's the slide (not the main tuning slide, but the one attached to the main tuning slide). On another note, my 4th valve is awful noisy. I have Mead springs in all my valves, but the 4th is the only noisy one.
    Which part of the valve compression / release cycle is noisy? Most of the time in my experience noisy valves result from felts that are worn out and need replacement. A relatively new instrument could need felt replacement if it's heavily used.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Quote Originally Posted by jkircoff View Post
    Which part of the valve compression / release cycle is noisy? Most of the time in my experience noisy valves result from felts that are worn out and need replacement. A relatively new instrument could need felt replacement if it's heavily used.
    You're probably right. I'll look into that.
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director

When an instrument is stored in its case in typical fashion, the 4th valve is at the bottom. Water will probably soak up the felt on top of the piston and make it noisy. First thing to check is just to remove the piston and press on the felt/pad on top of the piston with your finger. If it squishes, there's your answer.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

9. Tuning slide trigger and noisy valves

Some tips on servicing your Sterling.

First: I have gotten fantastic results on my 9 year old Sterling's tuning slide trigger mechanism by:

1. Extremely thorough cleaning of the the slide and the receiving tubes the slide goes into. I use hot soapy water to clean the slide and an old t-shirt and Brass-Saver cleaning brush to swab out the tubes.
    2. When the horn was new, I used Wright's Silver Cream to polish the legs of the tuning slide to ensure smoother action. This must be done judiciously as you are not trying to "hone" the fit, just get a smoother action.
    3. I use Hetman #6 slide oil on the slide and on any pivot points. It doesn't washout easily. I found trombone creme a bit too light after it got wet.

Second: I use standard Besson-style finger button, top cap, and piston felts. The piston and finger button felts are synthetic and are receptive to being washed in hot soapy water and dried out to get rid of accumulated oil and moisture. I change the felts out about once a year. I purchase replacement supplies each year on my trips to England when I am at IBBSS, but they are readily available via eBay as well.

Third: For the fourth valve, it accumulates moisture more than the other three so felt cleaning/replacement is more important. Also, I bend the tab holding the valve in just a bit so that the valve is held slightly off the valve cap, thus not compressing the felts.

I might mention, that all three of the service procedures I describe above were also done on my Besson Prestige and the second two on ALL euphoniums I have owned since my 1980 Sovereign. Also, I use Mead Springs on my Sterling as well.
    Last edited by daruby; 08-08-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

10. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    When I had a triggered Sterling, I used trombone slide cream. Oils and greases were sticking, but the slide cream worked great. I had to add a little every few days, and I cleaned and re-creamed it every couple weeks or so.
    Did you mix water with it like a trombone player would?
    Last edited by Jasonium; 10-11-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    Yamaha Neo 642TSII
    Denis Wick SM4 Ultra X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast